Anyone ever tried... (Remix)

bigshynepo

adding a GM trunk pull down assembly to a w-body that didn't have it? I would love to stop slamming my trunk but when I began looking into it, it looks like there are at least a few mechanics involved. :thinking: Thanks in advance.

(I loved the responses in your thread so much *cough* gnat *cough*, so I had to ask my question. Thanks for the thread motivation Robby)

If you have to slam your trunk something else is out of adjustment or worn out. Those electric pull down mechanisms get bent and dust gets in them and they stop working...IMO it's not worth it to put something in there that depends on something elecrical to close the trunk tightly.

But if u do it I hope it works for you, each 2 his own

not worth it IMO :( they break all the time!

however if you were to do so I have seen two different types. One uses a POS motor and is used in lincolns and earlier model buicks and such..... BUT I have seen one that was better, the one GM redesiogned because of the problems those units had. it uses a power window motro to drive the mechanism.

the defective design one has a rouns casing on the motor,

the well redesigned model is squarish, it is flat on the front and back.

better to fix whatever is out of adjustment!

We had one on out 88 chrysler new yorker, and that was one of the things that didnt' break on that car. :lol: It was kinda neat, and i always wished that my cutlass and my regal had this feature as well.

If you have to slam your trunk something else is out of adjustment or worn out.

I guess slam was the wrong word... :) Maybe I should have said "I don't want to have to put any effort or energy into closing that damn trunk ever again" lol! But I'm loving the feedback already, I am gonna try and look at an assembly this weekend installed but like most of you said, it is probably a real make work project. It does seem like it would be a novel mod for someone who has done it all though and maybe goes to shows..*cough* Slamdit *cough* :wink:

I'm not saying don't do it, but just by putting one of those units in and it malfunctions, it's one more headache and something that could go wrong....

The trunk on my Lumina takes absolutely NO effort to close. My mom's Acura it the best one I've ever seen though....it tap the lid with your hand and it clicks solidily

That's actually been one of my backburner projects for quite awhile. I just never came across a pulldown mechanism for a price I want to pay and forgot all about it. The local JY wants $35 for one which seemed a bit much for something frivolous like that.

Anyway, yeah, they are not that reliable. I think it's because people tend to slam the trunk anyway, and they have plastic housings and I think some even have plastic worm gears. Yeah, there are a few different versions. Early cars actually had vacuum operated pulldown systems, but I think all modern ones (80's and up) would be electric. The newer ones are more compact. I think the most work you'd have to do other than wiring (which is real simple) is to relocate the studs. You could probably cut off the studs and drill some holes for fat sheetmetal bolts, or maybe use a machine bolt and nut on the other side.

It's probably not worth the effort, especially for only 2-seconds of pleasure you get after you close the trunk. Not to mention it can cause you trouble in the future. It does look damn cool though. I remember seeing Cadillacs and Buicks with that feature and thought, "I gotta have it!"

BTW, a lot of luxury cars these days also have fully power opening AND closing trunks. You press the trunk release, the trunk fully opens. On either the lip of the trunklid or sill of the trunk is a close button. Press that and the trunk fully closes. Very cool.

BTW, a lot of luxury cars these days also have fully power opening AND closing trunks. You press the trunk release, the trunk fully opens. On either the lip of the trunklid or sill of the trunk is a close button. Press that and the trunk fully closes. Very cool.

:eek: Apparently I need to go back to the drawing board! I agree with the general opinion of the time and effort outweighing the benefit but thanks to everyone for the great input! Gnat, if you, or anyone else, can come up with more information on the assembly behind the motorizes trunk lid, I'd love to see it. I would imagine it is a reverse contraption similar to the automatic convertible tops hatches we are seeing on the G6, Lexus, Cadillac, etc.

**EDIT 1:50 MST Wednesday

I suppose you could alter a *shudder* lambo door motorizing kit to do the job but there has to be a better application out there...

http://www.customautotrim.com/bodykits/lambo-doors/motor_lambo_conv_kit.htm

In my opinion, they are a neat feature, but sometimes a pain in the ass. I have a friend that recently bought a 89 camaro and they have that feature, but ppl that owned it before were stupid and always slammed the hatch shut, now there are cracks all the way across the little lip spoiler thinger.

But hey if you think they are cool go for it, but there is another suggestion for ya, lots of F-body cars had that option.. i think they would work for our cars too with a little modifying.

bigshynepo

Check out the early 90’s Riviera’s I think they all have the pull down trunk latch.

Check out the early 90’s Riviera’s I think they all have the pull down trunk latch.

Thanks! I totally love the old school Rivieras too, rare find up here though. I am trying to compare mechanisms to see who might have the easiest to install. Now I am stoked on finding out more on the fully auto trunk as well....I'll keep you all posted if I find out anything else.

Fully auto trunk is going to be pretty hard to get, I think.

It came on many late-model Mercedes (S, CLK, and E-class for sure), 04+ Lincoln Town Car, 04+ Audi A8, 04+ VW Phaeton, Lexus LS, maybe some other high-end luxury cars. All are pretty new and very unlikely to be found in your average JY. The only old cars I can think of that came with it are the 1957 and 58 Cadillac Eldorados... much less likely to be found than the newer cars!

Looks like Delphi developed the system used in the Town Car though:

http://www.delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/body/closure/pwrtrunk/

Probably not nearly as good as any factory system, but you can get an aftermarket Balls Lectra-Lift:

http://www.dakotastreetrods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_168&products_id=1099&

Oh yeah, if you like all this power gadgetry, one cool feature that a lot of import luxury cars have had since the 80's and 90's is a power tilt/telescope steering column which has been strangely absent from domestic luxury cars until very recently. The one in my dad's 92 Infiniti Q45 has memory and moves up and out of the way when you shut off the ignition, and comes back to its memorized position when the ignition is turned on. That was another feature that I was thinking would be cool to add if I wanted to be really resourceful.

Fully auto trunk is going to be pretty hard to get, I think.

It came on many late-model Mercedes (S, CLK, and E-class for sure), 04+ Lincoln Town Car, 04+ Audi A8, 04+ VW Phaeton, Lexus LS, maybe some other high-end luxury cars. All are pretty new and very unlikely to be found in your average JY. The only old cars I can think of that came with it are the 1957 and 58 Cadillac Eldorados... much less likely to be found than the newer cars!

Looks like Delphi developed the system used in the Town Car though:

http://www.delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/body/closure/pwrtrunk/

Probably not nearly as good as any factory system, but you can get an aftermarket Balls Lectra-Lift:

http://www.dakotastreetrods.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_168&products_id=1099&

Oh yeah, if you like all this power gadgetry, one cool feature that a lot of import luxury cars have had since the 80's and 90's is a power tilt/telescope steering column which has been strangely absent from domestic luxury cars until very recently. The one in my dad's 92 Infiniti Q45 has memory and moves up and out of the way when you shut off the ignition, and comes back to its memorized position when the ignition is turned on. That was another feature that I was thinking would be cool to add if I wanted to be really resourceful.

:werd: the Acura RL has the power telescopic wheel, it's pretty cool when cars remeber who you are and adjust everything the way you like it :D lol

My dad's Volvo doesn't have a power telescopic wheel, but the memory function on the seat moves the seat exactly where I set it, and the mirrors adjust too. When you get out of the car and open it again, the seat moves all the way back and tilts back slightly to allow easier access when getting back in.

When thinking about it that car has a few cool features, but then it lacks some basic ones, such as a remote trunk relase lol, wasn't even an option. Only way to get into the trunk in his car is with the key fob (which doesn't work when the car is running), or having all 4 doors unlocked and clicking a button above the license plate below the "VOLVO" symbol lol....

oh well