What do you IDLE at?

gmrulz4u

When my 2.8L engine in my Cutty gets warm/hot, it only idles at 600 RPM. I wish it was more like 800-900 RPMs. Mostly because of my stereo and the fact that higher RPMs keep the alt. charging better.

I'm gonna hook up my AutoXray tomorrow to check the "Desired Idle(by the ECM)" versus the actual RPMs, as well as see what my Idle Air Control Valve is up to(even though I don't really understand the whole STEP thing that my scanner shows).

So what does everyone else here Idle at when warm/hot?

When I start the car in the morning, it usually Idles at about 1,500-1,600 until I put it in PARK.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think I remember my engine idling this low until AFTER I changed a bad ignition coil....maybe it's just me...

One more thing, is there anyway to UP the Idle on these engines?

When I just start 'er up, she idles around 1000 for a minute or two, then when its fully warm, in park or neutral it idles around 750-700. In drive at a stop sign it idles around 650-600. That is with a new TPS, and MAT sensor reset, new plug wires.

Robby

Guest TurboSedan

jeez my 3.1 has been idleing at about 900 RPM....i need to look into that. when cold it is much higher than that, probably at least 1500...

joshua

my 3.1L turbo idles

when first started 1500, then 45 sec later drops to 600

and its always like that unless its cold out then it will stay at 1500 for about 3 mins

I think it has something to do with the computer because my owners manual and visor sticker says to let it idle down from 1500 before driving it to make sure the turbo is lubed up.

jeez my 3.1 has been idleing at about 900 RPM....i need to look into that. when cold it is much higher than that, probably at least 1500...

joshua

probably the IAC sticking at random....mine use to do that until I replaced the IAC, with the one chamber flowmaster and 2.5'' mandrel bent piping and no cat, it was loud as hell when it would shoot to 1500ish when cold :lol:

In gear. Neutral/Park is about 100 RPM higher. I should add that it is based on coolant temp, so that RPM is fully warmed up. Super cold temps are set much higher.

Guest TurboSedan
wow, mine idles at 1000, um..what should i do to lower it?

i have the same problem (posted above). i'm going hunting for vacuum leaks....

joshua

Hmm, I idle when warm about 800, a little less (650 or so) in gear.

I love this car at stoplights. The idle is so smooth, you dont have to hold your break on at any lights really. No rolling forward like most other automatics. is this ok?

Jon

Guest TurboSedan
what about IAC and TPS? I have heard of something on here about the TPS being messed up causing wierd idles

Robby

yep i need to do that too....get the IAC cleaned out and i got a nice Radioshack multimeter so i can check my TPS.

joshua

what about IAC and TPS? I have heard of something on here about the TPS being messed up causing wierd idles

Robby

If the TPS was going you would notice bad hesitation or weirdness on takeoff. If the IAC was going then you'll notice irratic, yo-yoing idle. I've had both go bad along with about every other usual thing that ages on these engines.Somewhat normal I guess for a 3.1L with 300k+ clicks on it. She's been good.

Where is the tps and how can I test it?

Sometimes I have this "wierdness" on takeoff, but it has always been there. I just considered it a characteristic of my engine (which it may be)

lumina z34 btw

Where is the tps and how can I test it?

Sometimes I have this "wierdness" on takeoff, but it has always been there. I just considered it a characteristic of my engine (which it may be)

lumina z34 btw

On 3.1 it's just below the IAC on the throttle body. Since it has to link with the throttle blade you can always track it down that way :)

If you want a quick, dirty test than just take it off and make some resistance measurements on the sensor. More complicated test involves measuring voltages while sensor is still in.

On 'wierd' takeoffs you shouldn't feel any if everything was working to spec. On smooth pedal application you should feel this silky, nice response.. that's healthy and that's what you want. Hesitation, double hesitation, knocks, slipping, low rpm dip before spiking, etc.. all of these things should throw a red flag.. and not all are engine related.

Idle....i remember that, back in the day, well at least tyring to keep a steady idle...never got it to stick around though, now i couldn't tell if i wanted too, tach died =( join more of my dieing/dead dash, my oilpressure so high the damn needle is in the battery gage almost, not to mention the damn Temp light that won't stop coming on when the gage says its fine....gotta luv it.... :roll: