Anyone ever tried...

Robby1870

getting all their windows switches to "auto go down"? I know this feature is just in the switch (one way latch). I dont have a window switch in the room with me to take apart (amazingly though, b/c Im staring at two center consoles, a 3.1L plenum and various other W parts). I think I might try this this weekend. I have two other junk GPs at my disposal.

Might be able to retrofit the one way latch from the driver side switch donor onto the passenger side.....just make sure when the window is down the switch cuts the power you you'll kill the window motor

There is a certain way to do it with my Acura actually, but I have never tried. It is a certain sequence that you hit the switches with, and it will have auto roll up or down on all windows. It only will work for one up or down sequence, so it isn't like it totally enables it. Lemme see if I can find out how to enable it, maybe it will work(doubtful).

EDIT: This is from the Legend board, it's worth a shot:

If you move the passenger window switch to the full up position,

holding for a second, then back down quickly and back up,

it'll enable one-touch window operation for all four windows

(even on the coupe).

IMO, it's more trouble than its worth. The early GM implementation isn't that great anyway. It's an electro-mechanical system. When you press down, a little solenoid kicks a lever into a notch in the switch, forcing it to stay down. Current sensing forces the solenoid to retract when the window hits its limit. I'm not sure why they used an electro-mechanical system, but I'm just guessing it has to do with what technology was available for the lowest cost back then.

I think a fully electronic solution would be better, perhaps like what came in the convertibles. It would let you have 4-window auto-down. Press the back 2 down and they all go down. Or an aftermarket solution like Clifford SmartWindows II or DEI's equivelent (I forget the model #). They'll let you have auto-down and auto-up.

Guest donkeykongrape

Don't bother doing it. I specifically removed that latch on my driver side window switch to disable the auto down. Whenever I tried to put my windows down, the latch would always get stuck and i'd have to jam it with my hand to undo it otherwise the motor would burn out (the motor DID burn out once, then i decided it was enough).

say wha?

yeah...RareGMFan's red TGP has the drivers side window auto switch

I'd imagine that they would, both our 90 cutlass supremes have auto down driver's side windows.

yea.. pretty sure most of us have it.

we're talking more about passenger side..

I've thought about implementing the convertable module myself but that was as far as i got.

Yeah, I think all the Buick Olds Pontiac 89-up got it. I don't know when Chevy's got it.

89 has a seperate box for the electronics connected to the solenoid in the switch. At some point, 90 maybe, they integrated everything into the switch. I don't know if the revised interior cars (94, 95) got an all-electronic auto down or if it's still the same electro-mechanical crap.

At any rate, if I recall correctly, the solenoid took up too much space in the switch to add another one. Go with the convertible module or better yet, go aftermarket. The aftermarket ones can also tie into an alarm's unused aux output to give it a remote-controlled vent mode and auto rollup on arming.

I don't know if the revised interior cars (94, 95) got an all-electronic auto down or if it's still the same electro-mechanical crap.

My GP has no little notch that holds the switch, it's electronic. I don't hear anything click when it finishes rolling up. My old GP did have the notch, and it was annoying.

I'm a little pissed, somehow the pass. window switch got stuck in the up position and I think it killed my motor. I know I've been in a car that had an auto-kill if the switch was held too long. I wish my car did. Now I have to fuck with putting a new motor in :bash:.

Yeah, Brian, it'd be much easier for you to do, but I have two more doors. Anyway, I meant to grab the 92's window switch today, but forgot. I'll grab it tomorrow and see whats in it. Its just a thought I had and I've never understood why most cars only have auto down on only the driver window.

Oh, thanks Shawn for the detailed posts, very helpful.

AH, I had no idea that some W-bodies like Chevy's didn't get it! Now I see.

My '95 doesn't have what my '90 had which is what everyone's describing. I do hear a slight click once the window is fully down but it's not loud like the old style ones, and the button doesn't stay pushed in, which I always thought was flaky. Never had a problem with it though oddly enough.

I don't know if the revised interior cars (94, 95) got an all-electronic auto down or if it's still the same electro-mechanical crap.

My GP has no little notch that holds the switch, it's electronic. I don't hear anything click when it finishes rolling up. My old GP did have the notch, and it was annoying.

I'm a little pissed, somehow the pass. window switch got stuck in the up position and I think it killed my motor. I know I've been in a car that had an auto-kill if the switch was held too long. I wish my car did. Now I have to fuck with putting a new motor in :bash:.

your car should have tripped the breaker before it burned the motor out. I would replace the breaker as well.