pulling stearing wheel

lbhskier37

I have a 1992 Buick Regal Custom, and I need to replace the signal switch. I am having a hard time figuring out what tools I need. I know I need a puller, but many guides (including the haynes manual) say I might need some other tool to hold a spring or something? The guides are making me think I only need this if I have an airbag (which I don't) does the non-airbag models need this other tool?

Most steering wheels need a wheel puller and a lock plate removal tool. It compresses the lock plate so you can remove the retaining clip. You more than likely need one.... all the 8o's and 90's GM cars need one prettymuch. Theyt aren't expensive.... you can even rent one from Murrays, or Autozone....

1st gens don't have a lock plate if they don't have an air bag. My 88 cutlass did not have a lock plate on it when I replaced the ignition lock cylinder.

x2

And you don't need a puller.

Remove the main nut, place each knee behind a bottom side of the wheel, place each hand on opposite sides at the top, and give it a yank straight out.

and watch your forehead.

... a puller is nice though, cause those wheels get on there DAMN TIGHT. On my 88 GP all I needed was a puller to change the signal switch, but on my 95 GP I also needed a lock-plate remover.

Here is a GREAT writeup on how to change TSS by DiscoStudd... It's for 94-96 or something but the only difference is yours may be less steps...

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

You do not need a lock plate compressor to remove the steering wheel. The lock plate only needs to be taken out if you're going that far into the column (i.e. replacing the lock cylinder or signal switch.)

Grab up a cheap steering wheel puller from the ole auto parts store. I'm sure you'll need to use it again sometime down the line :wink: ...

However, the bolts that come with the standard puller arent the right size, or atleast mine arent. I had to track down some metric bolts to fit in the wheel to use the puller. Just my experience though, maybe other's pullers came with the right bolts.

I was wondering if you could pull a 1G steering wheel without a puller....I have found a couple at the j/y but never even bothered to try to pull them because I wasn't sure it was possible without the proper tools

you can pull any wheel without a puller if the column is junk to you.

You need to remove the NUT, and then wedge your knees behind the wheel and apply force pulling it from the column. Smack the center shaft with the hammer, and a few hits later it comes off. watch it it can come flying.

I recommend a puller of course. I also have purchased grade 5 bolts to suplemant those that came with my puller, after as experience where the cheap puller bolt broke.... and in my good steering wheel.

I've gone through 3 sets of Grade 8 bolts in the 13+ years I've had my puller (one set was stainless, even.) It doesn't matter how "tough" the bolts are, they'll eventually get mangled due to the way the "load" is distributed by the puller.

One time I managed to get a steering wheel off of an old Grand Am by threading the puller bolts through the back of the wheel until they pressed against the lock plate. Of course, you don't want to do something like that on a car with an airbag, otherwise you'll destroy the clockspring :wink: ...