Hey Shawn! RE: resolder procedure on cluster

Tim

In the second photo in the procedure there is a black device/unit on the upper left of the PWB. Is that the motor for the odometer? Mine only works intermittantly (works in morning when cold, quits as the day goes on) and I'm thinking I might have cold solder joints. What do you think?

Thanks!

Tim

92 GP SE

Yep, it's the odometer motor.

I've never heard of an odometer problem due to bad solder, but it's definitely a possibility.

It could be a bad motor too, but they plug right in if you can get ahold of another.

My odometer stopped working like 2 or 3 years ago. Got the whole cluster resoldered and it has worked great since. Although it was nice to drive everywhere and it not register a single mile!

Robby

Thanks Guys! I think I may have found my answer. I'm a little nervous about removing the cluster because in my experience with other cars I always ended up with rattles and such after reassembly. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tim

Removing and reinstalling the cluster is very easy especially comapred to some other cars. Just tighten everything up good. Getting the dashpad back on looks tricky, but just line up the tabs on the bottom and it should line up fine. Then bang the corners a little to tap them back into place.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I removed the cluster and resoldered the plug/jack connector of the odometer motor and the 8 pin IC that I believe drives it. Test drove for about 6 miles and so far so good. The problem is intermittant so I will need to give it a week or so to see if it's really fixed. If not I guess I'll try and find an odometer motor at a junk yard.

Tim

Just drove down to the store and the odometer did not work. It got up to about 80 degrees today but the sun was bright and hot. I'm thinking now that the odometer motor just won't work when it heats up. I have read of several guys on this board that have swapped their analog cluster out for a digital unit so I think I'll post a WTB in the appropriate forum. Will save me 100 mile round trip to yard.

Tim

Unfortunately, the Grand Prix hybrid analog/digital cluster is not anymore reliable. They have all kinds of problems as well, probably because they're made by Delco.

Don't forget to check the capacitors.

If you see crud on the capacitors, it is the capacitor's electolyte acid and got hardened.

Check your PWB and see if you find another small board (1.5" x 3") soldered on the main PWB. It is usually located on the upper left side. On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Digital Instrument Cluster, there is this small board (1.5" x 3") and it has 3 capacitors rated 100μf 35V. They have crud and the capacitors are leaking and needs to be replaced. I've used Radio Shack store100μf 35V 85°C but if you want to get the higher temp 105°C then you can find it in ebay or search google.

If the capacitors are leaking, they are not able to hold the proper amount of charge to deliver.

It was Shawn's link that gave me the idea of re-soldering the IC http://www.w-body.com/service/checkgauges.html and my own journey

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/sands/2476/automobile/digital_instrument_cluster.htm

Not sure, it could be the capacitors used on 90's & 80's are pretty much the same. Capacitors should have a rating on its surface and some has code that needs to be decoded to get the value.