Automatic door locks

warwgn3

First let me say that I wasn't sure what section to post this in, so feel free to move this post if needed.

-----

Ok, Most of our cars have Automatic Door locks. Does anyone know how do disable this annoying feature?

I hate it when the doors lock themselves when I shift out of park. I always forget they're locked, and everyone in the car ends up body checking the doors trying to get out, not realizing that they're locked.

Strange thing is that it only locks automatically when I first start the car and shift out of park. If I unlock the car, shift it back into park, leave the car running, and shift back out of park, it stays unlocked.

Your assistance is appreciated.

It sounds like it is working properly.

As for disabling it, I totally forget. I think there was a thread about this, but it was a loooonnngggg time ago. And the search function on this board kinda sucks as well.

Strange thing is that it only locks automatically when I first start the car and shift out of park. If I unlock the car, shift it back into park, leave the car running, and shift back out of park, it stays unlocked.

Yea my 93' Euro is exactly the same, it must be the cars then, but I thought that was wierd too. In my opinion... they should automaticall unlock once put back into park....

Our 95 Lumina APV minivan does this as well... ANNOYING as hell! I dunno why they didn't design it to unlock. :dunno: I like how the locks work on my 95 GP though...

Behind your glovebox (Have to remove it) you will find your dingbox.. (CLear/white or blue) with a pigtail coming off.. Disconnect the pigtail, and you're golden.. Will still ding when key is in, lights are on, pre-ignition bell, etc..

Behind your glovebox (Have to remove it) you will find your dingbox.. (CLear/white or blue) with a pigtail coming off.. Disconnect the pigtail, and you're golden.. Will still ding when key is in, lights are on, pre-ignition bell, etc..

only thing that won't work is the dinger when you leave your turnsignal on for more then a 1/4 mile

one of the first things i did to my z when i got it was to disable that damn "feature"

i dont mind it because i now have the habit of hitting unlock for people to get out. only problem with that, is that usually i do it while still in drive, and since my passenger side door sticks sometimes theyll pull the handle, the door will stick, and when they let go of the handle it locks again.

fun stuff

Most cars have a fuse you can pull.

Newer cars unlock by themselves. Mine used to work properly, but something in the circuitry got fried and now it won't lock, it'll just unlock.

I always lock my doors when I'm going out to drive anwyway. I guess it'd be a pain if I just had to move the car quick... but yea, it's amazing how many people try to open the door and just can't figure out that it's locked when it doesn't open :shrug: it's not that hard.

If you still have your owners manual laying around somewhere, there should be a section in there for programming door locks, how long the courtesy lights stay on, etc. It's something obscure like turn the key to on and back off 3 times, press the gas pedal, lock the doors, unlock the doors, do a hand-stand, then you'll be in programming mode. :willynilly:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, start

what about B and A! :lol:

It isnt programmable on first gens. :wink:

In that case, freggin pull the fuse... :willynilly:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, start

That sounds like a freindship thing for mortal kombat LOL... I think its Raydens..

what about up, down, left, right, hold a and press start

That sounds like a cheat code for a mario game.. anyways [/end hijack]

• 5 months later...

That feature is SO getting pulled from my car!

What I hate... everyone gets pissed with not being able to get out so they jerk on the lock lever to unlock the door, and now my lock lever is actually screwed up, its like it has broken out of the track behind it...

Jamie

That feature is SO getting pulled from my car!

What I hate... everyone gets pissed with not being able to get out so they jerk on the lock lever to unlock the door, and now my lock lever is actually screwed up, its like it has broken out of the track behind it...

Jamie

I HATE that. Before I turn the key off with people in the car their door handle jiggling proves futile. I basically scream at them and say something like "WAIT until the captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt sign!" :lol:

my car doesn't have this, and thank god lol...

Our old Dynasty used to have this, but the doors would lock AFTER the car was over 20km/h or something stupid like that lol...

I dunno, what new cars have this feature?? Neither of my parents car's have this either...not even the Volvo which is supposed to be a safe car lol...maybe it's worse to have the doors locked in certain collisions??