Buick Digital Cluster Help *Pics Finally*

RJansen658

The thread returns LOL. I have encountered a problem. I am extending my lumina harness over to reach the regal UB3... My Lumina harness has two black wires, the Regal UB3 needs two blacks, one is supposed to go to G101 and the other to G103... how do I distinguish the two? I have pinouts for the Lumina but they don't mention which G is which in my harness. Also the pinout I have for the Lumina, there are like 5 more wires going into the cluster than what the pinout has listed....

Both the G101, and G103 are grounds so it doesn't matter which one goes where.

Ok.... I have found all the power wiring except one. It is the blk/wht wire that is SUPPOSED to be attached to the "PRNDL" fuse. It is supposed to have power only in off?! WTF My car doesn't have a "PRNDL" fuse, but it did have all the others. I can't think of any system in my car that has power in off only. And why would the cluster need power in off only?

On another note.... my Lumina already has the white witre for the tach in the factory cluster harness. Do you guys think I can hook it to the orange data wire for the UB3 and get tach that way? Or does it have to go down to the ALDL connector? Not that its difficult to run a wire, but if its already there....

Ok, I now the UB3 is in, and works great. I got all the wires hooked up, and everything works like it would in the regal.

The Bad:

When I first hooked it up the oil pressure guage went all the way to max. I went down to the junk yard and got one of the long oil pressure sending units. It had a much smaller end than the one in my car, and I had to get an adapter for where it screws into the block. The plug was the same. Even with the new longer sending unit it still reports max oil pressure. I don't know what is wrong there as it should work. I thought the short sending units were for the light, and long ones for the guage.

The high beam indicator does not come on when I turn on the high beams. I tested this with 2 different regal UB3's. When I backprobe the highbeam indicator input wire in the cluster harness I get power whenever the high beams are on so I know I have it wired correctly. Is it possible that the pinout above is incorrect? It says C7 is high beam. Anyone else have a pinout to compare this information to? I cannot read the pinout Lee posted in general.

I also want to thank Lee, ZeroDCX, and slick94prix for all the technical documentation they provided me. Without that info I wouldn't have been able to do it. As soon as I have some pics I will post them. It works correctly, but it isn't mounted yet, I have to fabricate a bezel for it, as soon as I think it looks presentable I will make a video of it in action.

BTW: If anyone else ever undertakes this swap.... The white/black wire in C15 must be spliced into the pink/black wire in C16. C10 and D10 (yellow, and brown/white) are the display dim wires, they get hooked to the matching colored wires at the headlight switch. You can skip those two, and your display will just always be at its brightest setting. The display control module from the regal fits perfectly into the Luminas change holder in the center console if you shave the mounting tabs off with a razor. You will have to drill a hole in the back of the change holder for the wiring to pass thru. If anyone has questions about the swap feel free to PM me.

*EDIT* Ok something is wrong with how the oil pressure sensor is wired. With the engine off, and the key on, it reads max oil pressure. I did not change anything with the actual wiring, all I did is change the sensor. I am going to have to study some schematics to get to the bottom of this one I think...

please tell me when you shaved off those 2 pins and it plugs in what happens with the cluster does it actually work or are the wires supposed to be different, because i have a 94 cutlass and i have the same plug i would rather not spend more money on a conversion if i dont have to. rockfangd@aol.com. thanks :cool:

I'm still working at getting the pics right, getting some help soon. I should just take the book to kinko's and re-zerox the whole thing so it is clean. The pics are my working zeroxs' BUT....the oil pressure guage......If it is just a switch sensor it will read max when motor is running but should read nothing and a red triangle if motor is off/key on.

Maybe you picked up an incompatable sending sensor. Any 93 back w-body with an oil pressure gage should work. I never changed mine, just the water.

Did you notice the gas gage yet? At 1/4 tank the digital bars go back to the top with exclamation points and the F changes to 1/4. As you use up two more bars the red triangle lights up.

7tw7.jpg

8fu4.jpg

9mx1.jpg

Heres some pics of the UB3 working... I still have to mount the cluster behind a Lumina bezel, and I still want to make a faceplate for the button module in the console. I also threw in a pic of the radio swap.

If the oil guage wasn't pegged with KOEO and the old sender, I would guess it's the new sensor. As long as the sensor came from a car with a guage it should work, unless it's toast. Unplug that sensor and plug in the old one to confirm that it's not lit with engine off. If it's still lit disconnect the sensor and see if it goes out. If it remains lit you're wiring is probably wrong.