Buick Digital Cluster Help *Pics Finally*

RJansen658

At the junk yard today I say a 90' buick regal that had a digital dash. I loved the way it looked. It had MPH, RPM, volts, temp, etc. I wish I knew how it looked lit up. ANyways, does anyone know if the connector is the same? I am sure the pinouts are different, but is the general connector mating the same? Also, I dismantled it to look at the connectors, it also had another smaller connector with 4 wires, my lumina doesnt have that im sure.... The buick had seperate buttons for eng/metric, economy, and something else mounted just above the radio, I assume the 4 wire connector was for them? Anyone have some info about this? I already have Lumina pinouts, but they don't show connector shape.

Yea, thats what they look like. As for the buttons, there is Eng/Metric, Trip Odometer/Odometer, and Cluster Display. Cluster display togles through Bar graph only, Digital only, or both.

Yes! Thats the one I saw... are the plugs the same just different pin-out? Is the other 4 wire plug for those seperate buttons? Anyone ever put one in a lumina?

I wouldn't swear to this but I believe the pin-outs for the Regal UB3 are different than other w-body UB3's. I'd be sure to have the one for Regal just in case. The other connector is for the PRNDD21 lights in the UB3 cluster. The wires to the module with the E/M, trip odometer and display toggle all come out of the regular 32 pin connector, some being not used.

The grey(8) illuminatin wire for the basic cluster can be extended down to the module BELOW the radio. You then run wires for the trip odometer and display toggle from the connector down to the module. You'll need to find some extra pinout tabs/connectors because there aren't enough in the basic wiring to connect the 2 extra module buttons.

I never did it all. I set the E/M for E. and moved the hot wire to the trip odometer.

I made sure the display toggle was set so that everything lit up and left it un-connected.

So....I have the E/M button non-functional but illuminated with its original grey(8) wire, the trip odometer fuctional and lit up with the grey(8) wire from the connector pin-out for the original cluster illumination, and a non-functional and not lit display toggle button.

I have a floor shift and did not connect the 4 wire second connector. The PRNDD21 on my UB3 does not light up. There was another person who posted recently and his was flashing. I believe he may have had a column shift.

The cluster is much cooler than the sig pic shows. When the bar graphs get up over the numbers....then it looks sweet. I want to put a filter in to make it more blue. The green gets old.

Also, there is a slight differnce in the bezel windows from basic to UB3. Not enough to sweat. And there is a spot in the UB3 white plastic housing that has to have a hole drilled into it so the basic bezel can fit back over it. Just a little 1/8" hole for a black pointy tab on the right side of the cluster housing. I really need to scan and upload the pics I took. No one was doing this stuff for awhile so I never bothered.

It's easier than changing out the radio system. That is a pain in a Regal. Three different areas.

Also, there is a slight differnce in the bezel windows from basic to UB3. Not enough to sweat. And there is a spot in the UB3 white plastic housing that has to have a hole drilled into it so the basic bezel can fit back over it. Just a little 1/8" hole for a black pointy tab on the right side of the cluster housing. I really need to scan and upload the pics I took. No one was doing this stuff for awhile so I never bothered.

You know I'm putting this into a Lumina right?

Ok I got the 90' Regal Digital cluster today. All I have to say is.... WTF!!!! The dashboard was literally built AROUND the cluster wiring harness. I managed to get the cluster, the 32 pin wiring harness with about 3ft or lead, The trip/odo/display module above the radio, the connector for the module with about 1ft lead, and the 4pin connector for the PRNDD21 display. I have the lumina pinouts for my car, but I can't find the pinouts for the regal cluster. Can someone please PM or post the pinouts for the cluster? Thanks guys.....

*Update* Ok I have taken apart both the Lumina and the Regal Dashes now. I have compared the plug on my Lumina to the harness from the Buick Regal GS.... The plug is of the same exact shape and spacing and such, but there are different plastic keys on the Regal plug than on the Lumina. I remedied this by using an extra Lumina plug pocketed from the J/Y, I shaved the keys off it altogether and it mates the plug on the digital cluster perfectly, I even practiced removing the wires from the plug and can do it perfectly now. But I really need the pinouts for the regal cluster..... does anyone have them? pretty please???

Yeah, I searched and searched, but no luck. I found a couple promising results, but it was asking questions as well, no actual diagrams. Lemme do a quick search again, there were a few names that kept popping up in particular, maybe they will have the answer.

Send a message to the member ZeroDCX . He had to repin a harness to do an upgrade in his regal from base cluster to UB3, so he should have the correct diagram.

Wow there is nothing on Google, nothing on the forum.... when I do FINALLY get the pinouts Iam going to make a complete FAQ for the conversion. I am really excited about it, Found the best spot to mount the eng/met/odo/trip module. C'mon someone post me a pinout....

I did it a year ago, so I don't remember much about it ... gotta jog my memory. I do have some information on the matter though, I will send you everything I have. Just gotta get to my notebook pc. Oh and btw ... It was a pain in the a*s repinning that harness. Just thought I should let you know in advance. Good luck w/ it.

PM sent and for the others here's a little information on the pinouts if you're curious.

i have a service manual for a 91, the pinouts for the UB3

C1-16

C1 (PNK/BLK 39) ignition power to cluster

C2 (LT BLU 14) LH turn indicator

C3 (DK BLU 15) RH turn indicator

C4 (tan/WHT 33) BRAKE indicator

C5 (grey/wht 852) antilock brake system

C6 (not used)

C7 (LGT GRN 11) hi beam indicator

C8 (LGT GRN 226 ) TRIP

C9 ( DK BLU/WHT 258) ANALOG/DIGITAL SWITCH

C10 (YEL726) DISPLAY DIM ENABLE

C11 (NOT USED)

C12 (NOT USED

C13 (ORN 461) BI-DIRECTIONAL SERIAL DATA LINK BETWEEN CLUSTER AND ECM

C 14 (BLK 151) CLUSTER GROUND TO G101

C15 (WHT/BLK343) IGNITION POWER TO CLUSTER BATTERY VOLTAGE IN OFF AND RUN

C16 (PNK/BLK 750) IGNITION POWER TO CLUSTER BATTERY VOLTAGE IN RUN

D1 (BLK 150) INDICATORS GROUND TO G103

D2 (YEL 237) SEATBELT IMPUT TO ALARM MODULE

D3 (YEL/BLK 68 ) LOW COOLANT INDICATOR

D4 (BRN 25) GENERATOR

D5 (BRN/WHT 419) SERV ENG SOON IMPUT FROM ECM

D6 (WHT 85) CRUISE INDICATOR INPUT FROM CRUISE CONTROL

D7 (NOT USED)

D8 (NOT USED)

D9 (LT BLU 811) ENG/MET SWITCH

D10 (BRN 230) DISPLAY DIM LEVEL

D11 (TAN 31) OIL PRESSURE INPUT

D12 (DK GRN 35) TEMP SENOR INPUT

D13 (PPL 30) FEUL SENSOR INPUT

D14 (NOT USED)

D15 (DK GRN 389) VEHICLE SPEED INPUT FROM ECM

D16 (ORN 640) IGNITION POWER TO CLUSTER

ON THIS THE CLIP IS ON THE TOP

C1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

D1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

C2 PINOUT

A1 THROUGH A8 NOT USED

B1 THROUGH B4 NOT USED

B5 (WHT 776) PRNDL SWITCH INPUT

B6 (GRY 773) PRNDL SWITCH INPUT

B7 (YEL 772) PRNDL SWITCH INPUT

B8 (BLK/WHT 771) PRNDL SWITCH INPUT

I HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU MEANT AND IT IS OF SOME HELP, IF NOT LET ME KNOW AND I'LL TRY TO FIND IT

Also... thanks stockgp for the detailed diagrams...... with this and zerodcx's pinout info I should be more than ok. Ill post pictures as I make major accomplishments lol...

The thread returns LOL. I have encountered a problem. I am extending my lumina harness over to reach the regal UB3... My Lumina harness has two black wires, the Regal UB3 needs two blacks, one is supposed to go to G101 and the other to G103... how do I distinguish the two? I have pinouts for the Lumina but they don't mention which G is which in my harness. Also the pinout I have for the Lumina, there are like 5 more wires going into the cluster than what the pinout has listed....

The Regal UB3 has these circuits:

C10 (YEL726) DISPLAY DIM ENABLE

D6 (WHT 85) CRUISE INDICATOR INPUT FROM CRUISE CONTROL

D10 (BRN 230) DISPLAY DIM LEVEL

I have no idea what to hook the Dimmer stuff to... Now there are no other pins on the Regal UB3 that say they are for tach, and D6 (WHT 85) CRUISE INDICATOR INPUT FROM CRUISE CONTROL is the only white wire....so do you think it is supposed to go to my Luminas white tach wire?

My company just went home yesterday afternoon and I'm working today, off tomarrow....so I should be able to get my book out and scan......

Your tach [C-13-bi directional data wire/orange] connects from the cluster to the ALDL orange wire in your diagnostic port......below the dash right side of steering wheel. You have to run your own wire. You can either splice or tuck it into the pinout hole. Mine is just tucked and taped. You'll probably want to splice but tucking is good enough for testing and short term operation.

The other wires I don't remember so well. I'll get my book and get it scanned tomarrow...Friday. Hopefully I can find those hand written papers to. They make it sooooooo much easier.