Leaky Trunk... = Factory leak hole?

Q-Ball

Hey, ofcouse like most of us, my trunk still leaks. I plan to stop the leak by re-sealing all around my tail lights. My weather striping still looks like its in good conditon too. But now I have this other problem. Where the spare tire and jack sits, its starting to make a little rust hole. I noticed it when I got home and saw a small pool of liquid under the car. I thought it was gas, but I have a recent newly installed gas tank. I saw where the water was coming from and from below the car, I can now push the metal plate there. I dont want the whole bottom to rust out. Any idea's what I can do. Im thinking re seal the trunk the best I can, and get that piece welded back in?

That metal plug is suposed to be there, though I'm not sure why....Maybe in case the trunk got flooded somehow you could drain it easier. Lots of people on the forum have opened that plug part way because they have given up on trying to fix the leaky trunk, so it gives it a place to empty the water

I dont think this is the right section for this.

prepare to be moved.

:D

I put it here Cause I need body work. duh... Maybe if you bastards read the whole message! :lol:

That metal plug is suposed to be there, though I'm not sure why....Maybe in case the trunk got flooded somehow you could drain it easier. Lots of people on the forum have opened that plug part way because they have given up on trying to fix the leaky trunk, so it gives it a place to empty the water

Yeah, but now its causing rust. By all means it shouldnt leak out if I didnt make a hole or remove that piece. I remember earlier this year, back in march or april water was staying in. Now its all going good. Its a good/bad situation for me. First I dont really mind water is going out, but If I get my trunk sealed up, I dont want the rust hole to leak anything out or come in from under the car. (ie bugs) I guess I'll try and fixing it today as I'm offically on holidays! Hurray!

I've only been here about 2 years, and this is like the 10th time this issue has been covered. I'm not sure what you are looking for. That is a body plug in the bottom of the spare tire well. It is used for reasons stated, draining water. You have some of those in the passenger compartment as well. Your truck leaks, lots of W trunks leak. You can unseal the body plug, drill a hole it in, etc. to drain the water.

To address the rust issue, you're out of luck. Water alone won't cause the rust...but exposed metal and water will. My GP leaked the entire time I owned it, and it never rusted. I think rudefyet's GP rusted out. Either way, it's really too late to stop the damage by stopping the water. You need to fix the rust, protect the exposed metal, and live a happy life. I wouldn't worry about things getting up into the spare tire well, I had my plug unsealed and nothing ever got up into it.

I think rudefyet's GP rusted out.

Yes, it did, he has the UBER RARE J8G Orange Spare Tire option, where it floats in rust water until a big hole appears in the bottom of the spare tire well. My car is well on it's way to gaining that RPO as well.

I've only been here about 2 years, and this is like the 10th time this issue has been covered. I'm not sure what you are looking for. That is a body plug in the bottom of the spare tire well. It is used for reasons stated, draining water. You have some of those in the passenger compartment as well. Your truck leaks, lots of W trunks leak. You can unseal the body plug, drill a hole it in, etc. to drain the water.

To address the rust issue, you're out of luck. Water alone won't cause the rust...but exposed metal and water will. My GP leaked the entire time I owned it, and it never rusted. I think rudefyet's GP rusted out. Either way, it's really too late to stop the damage by stopping the water. You need to fix the rust, protect the exposed metal, and live a happy life. I wouldn't worry about things getting up into the spare tire well, I had my plug unsealed and nothing ever got up into it.

I never broke seal. But now I can move it quite easily. Maybe the seal just wore out? I took out all my carpet and tail lights, and I noticed a lot of rust under the tail lights where the water drains from the trunk, over the tail lights and onto the body itself. Its not looking good at all. I guess when ever I get a new rear bumper, I'll get the rust cut out and a patch welded in. Is there any products I can put on to prevent the rust eating? I'll take my wire wheel get as much off as I can and Tremclad it for now... I guess thats the only option for now...

Wow this stuff is awesome! I could paint right over the rust. Or should I patch in new panels and put this over them? I take it, it only comes in black?

Wow this stuff is awesome! I could paint right over the rust. Or should I patch in new panels and put this over them? I take it, it only comes in black?

Did you buy some? If you are going to I'd be interested in splitting some.......

You can paint right over it. IF there are any flakes, not that off first though, and clean off any grease and grime, then just paint it on. It adheres to the rust better than bare metal(from my own experience). I do recommend wearing long sleeve shirts and gloves when doing this. And, if you are under the car and afraid of splattering or dripping, possibly even a mask. The stuff does not wash off once dried! It only comes off with time, and many many baths. I had por-15 on my arm for about 2-3 weeks.

I asked my dad about this problem when my car jack got frozen into my car in the winter. The water filled the spare tire well and turned into a block of ice. My father used to work in the car plant in Oshawa and he said they had some big problems with rear windows leaking. The thing is GM never really rectified the problem. I can't remember what cars that was on, but I could see it applying here. Problem is the only real way to find out is to pull the rear window and have it re installed....

IF it is the rear window, then sealing the trunk could cause more harm than good. That water has to go somewhere and if you seal the trunk who knows where it will go.

I don't think it is the tail light (at least in my situation) that is leaking, on the drivers side of the car after soaking the car I can feel water under the SIDE weather stripping inside the trunk running down to the tail light, I have yet to find water that can travel up... If I were you I would find the source of the leak before sealing the trunk... Heres an idea (and I know your gf will like it) get her to go through a car wash while you are in the trunk with a flashlight looking for leaks.....on second thought...thats something we could take care of this week on my car...my scrawny ass probably fits in the trunk a weeee bit better than you, lol.

On another not I too heard about that POR-15 on TV today...I was thinking about jacking up the car and giving the entire underside a nice coating of it...

Jamie

get a can of that truck bed lining shit from canadian tire, and do the whole trunk with it, promlem solved, have a good night. I just saved you a lot of work :lol:

get a can of that truck bed lining shit from canadian tire, and do the whole trunk with it, promlem solved, have a good night. I just saved you a lot of work :lol:

That will trap any water underneath, still causing rust. Por-15 doesn't.

Did you buy some? If you are going to I'd be interested in splitting some.......

Yeah, Im really looking into this. We can split for sure. Jamie, you can have some too :lol:

You can paint right over it. IF there are any flakes, not that off first though, and clean off any grease and grime, then just paint it on. It adheres to the rust better than bare metal(from my own experience). I do recommend wearing long sleeve shirts and gloves when doing this. And, if you are under the car and afraid of splattering or dripping, possibly even a mask. The stuff does not wash off once dried! It only comes off with time, and many many baths. I had por-15 on my arm for about 2-3 weeks.

Well screw the body work now! :lol:

I asked my dad about this problem when my car jack got frozen into my car in the winter. The water filled the spare tire well and turned into a block of ice. My father used to work in the car plant in Oshawa and he said they had some big problems with rear windows leaking. The thing is GM never really rectified the problem. I can't remember what cars that was on, but I could see it applying here. Problem is the only real way to find out is to pull the rear window and have it re installed....

IF it is the rear window, then sealing the trunk could cause more harm than good. That water has to go somewhere and if you seal the trunk who knows where it will go.

I don't think it is the tail light (at least in my situation) that is leaking, on the drivers side of the car after soaking the car I can feel water under the SIDE weather stripping inside the trunk running down to the tail light, I have yet to find water that can travel up... If I were you I would find the source of the leak before sealing the trunk... Heres an idea (and I know your gf will like it) get her to go through a car wash while you are in the trunk with a flashlight looking for leaks.....on second thought...thats something we could take care of this week on my car...my scrawny ass probably fits in the trunk a weeee bit better than you, lol.

On another not I too heard about that POR-15 on TV today...I was thinking about jacking up the car and giving the entire underside a nice coating of it...

Jamie

I dont think its the rear window. I took my tail lights off and it might be coming in on the seam. Might be something we have to check out one of these days.

Thats not funny! I want it fixed right :lol:

That will trap any water underneath, still causing rust. Por-15 doesn't.

Excellent point. We need buy this ASAP! I guess you can only paint it by hand. I was hoping for some sort of spray can... Guess I better get some brushes.

I just checked out my spare tire well, filled with orange water, and the cover for the spare tire has mold growing on the bottom...and me without a drill...looks like a cup at a time it is

how do you get that plug out of the way? just wack it with a hammer?

Jamie