Park/Neutral Saftey Switch?

runt

Alright, I'm really becoming frustrated with this. Car goes into gear fine EVERY time. No problems starting either.

Problem is when I go to shut the car off. 50% of the time car goes into park fine, and the key turns all the way back till I can pull it out of the ignition. The other 50% of the time, car goes into park perfect. When I go to turn the car off, the key turns back far enough to shut the car off, but the key doesn't come all the way back. If I either pull the car out of park and back into park, sometimes it'll let the key loose. Otherwise I just have to keep messing with the Shifter button till I hear a "click" noise and the key comes all the way out and I'm on my way.

Does this sound like the P/N Saftey switch? Or something to do with the brake pedal and a switch under there?

Thanks for any help!

I'm definitely leaning toward the neutral safety switch. It's pretty easy to change out.

Any idea on the location? I was always told under the center console, and that it was a bitch to replace!

It's not the P/N safety switch. It's an actuator that is supposed to release the key when it's put in park. My Regal does this, and since i'm too cheap/poor/lazy to fix it, usually hitting the button on the shifter (with the brakes applied) really hard a few times makes it release.

It's not the P/N safety switch. It's an actuator that is supposed to release the key when it's put in park. My Regal does this, and since i'm too cheap/poor/lazy to fix it, usually hitting the button on the shifter (with the brakes applied) really hard a few times makes it release.

Same thing I do...lol. So it's an actuator. I guess I'll have to find a parts list and see what I can find.

Is it an actuator, or do the 2nd Gen's still use a cable? If the column on the 2nd Gen's are similar to a 93 Cavalier (which I'm sure they are) then there will be a cable running from the ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly to the shifter. There's a spot on the cylinder to insert a screwdriver, and once you do, you turn the key to ON and the cable pops right out. After you do this, though, the ignition switch won't lock the shifter in PARK when it's in the LOCK position. Might be worth it to remove the cable, lube it up, then reinstall it.

As far as the "actuator" that's inside the column, that would be the completely worthless BTSI actuator (Brake Transmission Shift Interlock.) That's the "thing" that keeps the shifter locked in PARK until you step on the brake. I was having trouble getting the Regal out of PARK in sub-zero weather, so I removed the upper console, popped the actuator off of the shifter, and problem solved. Look for a "can" about an inch in diameter with a little rod sticking out the end (attached to the shifter assembly via a "ball socket.") Take a large flat-blade screwdriver and pry the rod off from the "ball" and there you go...

All I know is that my '92 toro had the exact same problem, and changing the NSS fixed that. It's a different car though, so I'll just back down. :lol:

The NSS is on the top of the tranny, BTW jeremy. The gear select cable unsnaps, and it just unbolts out. Really easy to swap out.