Update on body- WARNING multi-pics

Brian P

I know Ive shown some thru AIM but some others who may be interested, haven't seen. So here goes:

Start of the day, 11am. Note the surface rust where the paint cracked (spraypainted hood)

paint_001.JPG

hood off, broke a damn hood strut

paint_025.JPG

stripping the hood with a razor blade.....that's right paint_027.JPG

Hood fully stripped

paint_028.JPG

Fender off

paint_030.JPG

tbc......

By 9pm same day

paint_043.JPG

hood on, ground effect on fender...

paint2_042.JPG

This camera sucks, trying to get the best shot of "shine" at night

paint2_045.JPG

That's all Ive had the chance to do....I didnt install the ground effects yet due to the fact that I'd *like* to paint the whole car, since this came out much better than expected. Thanks to PPG for making a great product at a reasonable $

Thanks, and yeah I want to shoot the rest of the car at once from the doors back. It'd be the easiest, of course I need the time to do it, which is like never! Or I could go the lazy route and paint the drivers door and rear bumper so it'll match, then slap the ground effects on. Tomorrow I'll take a pic showing how the new matches old

Ahhh, screw you Brian...you make it look too damned easy. LOL Seriously, that's one helluva great finish from those pics. It makes me think I can do the same for my rock-pelted hood and scuffed bumper. For me, what's a day of sanding and filling of the major chips, priming and painting for two lousy panels. You just gave me the push to do it. What's the worst that could happen? I could accidentally mess up the finish and have to sand it down again...big whoop. Great work!

Brian, really really nice job. Thats gonna look damn sweet when you get the whole thing painted. Keep up the good work man!! Im really jealous now, seriously

Robby

Thanks guys!

CPSMonte- The prep is what takes the longest, but for the bumper and the fender, I didn't have to strip it, just wetsand it with 400 grit, then wipe it down with the paint prep I bought. I had forgotten about a DEEP scratch on that bumper before I painted it, and it's noticeable. It's one of those scratches that I can just fill in with touchup then wetsand and it's gone. The most you'd have to do it sand the front of your hood and bumper until the chips can't be seen or felt. Primer not needed on the bumper of course.

Pabz- the car looks awesome. I'm assuming you painted the ground effects too? Is that the same color? It looks a hair darker, and better that way. When I painted the bottom of my car dark grey, I used a darker shade than stock and was much happier with it, gave a good contrast to the white.

Shawn- yes it was in a garage. I have a pic but I don't think Ive ever uploaded it, yet. I quarantined 1/2 of the garage as my paint "booth" with 10ft tall plastic sheeting. Ventilation was the problem. I only had a dual window fan, which worked alright but it was slow. I had a system of spraying, then getting out within 90 seconds. The basic dust masks aren't satisfactory either. My friend's car was parked next to the garage, and the overspray ended up covering the car, everywhere. This past weekend I helped him claybar the overspray off, and it was HARD. I never had a problem with overspray sticking like that. I can only hope the real finish sticks as good. It was like taking off epoxy.

As to the paint drying, The bumper and fender I was able to handle within 6 hours (daytime, 75 degree) the hood I had to let sit overnight under a heat lamp.

Paulo- Heh. The way I did it was that I never stopped working except for 2 KFC runs. I needed to give the paint 10 minutes between coats, so I used that time to continue dismantling the car. Then while I was letting the bumper and fender dry for 6 hours was when I stripped/wetsanded the hood. I should also note that the painted fender is a replacement off an '88 cutlass, to replace my dented one with an unstoppable rust spot! :)

Oh I forgot one- Robby- just have to hope for next week. If I quit my job, I'll have tons of time....you'd think I'll have time to do this when school ends in 2 weeks, but nope. My job would "need" me for 6 days a week!

Monotone is nice and modern, but that pic in Brian's sig had me thinking a 2-tone white & dark gray Cutty with shiny chrome rims would look awful sharp.

My cutty is screaming for a diy job like that..

What type of paint system did you use? primer/sealer/paint, 3-triple coat?How much paint did you need to cover the hood and fenders and how much did the material cost? Did you rent a compressor and an air gun?

whoa.. too many questions :)

my G effects are not painted YET!!

the white i painted my car is a pearl white diamond which comes on the new cadillac CTS' and it does appear a tad darker, and i like it, you should see the hood, it looks fantastic i love it, congrats!!

I think for the geffects i will go a little bit darker but with much more pearl in it to make it look more modern, i like the white also, but my dad would kill me. it snowed yesturday( IN APRIL DAMNIT) so i will take pics some other time cause i took it out today, and its dirty.

The new shade of paint looks atlot whiter then the old shade, and the new mono-tone look is alot fresher :fruity:

No.....trust me. After I cleaned the rest of the car, it's a perfect match. However of course the new paint is much cleaner and shinier, so of course I want to do the rest of the car!

My cutty is screaming for a diy job like that..

What type of paint system did you use? primer/sealer/paint, 3-triple coat?How much paint did you need to cover the hood and fenders and how much did the material cost? Did you rent a compressor and an air gun?

whoa.. too many questions :)

I forgot the exact name of the primer sealer but it was DuPont. The paint is PPG single stage. I bought a gallon because it was cheaper than getting 3 qts. Then you need the reducer for topcoat, hardener, primer's reducer, etc etc

The new shade of paint looks atlot whiter then the old shade, and the new mono-tone look is alot fresher :fruity:

No.....trust me. After I cleaned the rest of the car, it's a perfect match. However of course the new paint is much cleaner and shinier, so of course I want to do the rest of the car!

Damn both paints are the same shade, in one of the pics from the everything behind the front fender looks very yellowish. The new paint looks much much whiter. For some reason I thought you mentioned using a differant shade :confused:

Anyway it looks really good :shock: (again)

well, here's the thing. I wetsanded the hood today in hopes to get rid of the slight "grainy" look in the reflection. Now, it came out "flat" and shiny, I used 1500 grit, then 2000 grit. I probably should have started with 1000. Im going to use rubbing compound, then polishing compound in hopes to get the shine/luster back as good as it was. If it DOESNT, I'm just going to give it on coat when I do the rest of the car, no harm done. As shiny as paint can get after you wetsand, compound, polish, etc....NOTHING.....and I mean NOTHING is as shiny as when the paint is applied like "glass" (meaning the paint cures flat without runs) With the weather warmer, it should be even easier to do this...

Ah crap I forgot to take a pic. I will tomorrow when I put the ground effects on. Those pics surprised me too, because on the dig camera display, the front looked like it was glowing!