Tensioner

89Cutlass

I just have a quick question it might sound stupid but, Is it normal when the motor in my 89 cutlass 2.8l is running for the idle tensioner to be jumping up and down like it does ?

My 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme has a tensioner bolt in the middle that came loose a little bit and causing the tensioner to constantly jump. After I tightened it a little bit, then it does not jump that much anymore.

BTW, there is an mark/indicator on the tensioner which shows for a new belt mark and replace belt mark. The belt is fine if the tensioner indicator falls between the new belt mark and the replace belt mark.

The belt needs to be replaced if the tensioner indicator goes beyond the replace belt mark. Don't throw away that old belt, instead use it as a spare. You can use that belt for emergency replacement if the new belt breaks in the future.

If the belt shows lots of cracks, then forget it using the belt as a spare.

My belt tensioner use to bounce like that, I tried replacing the belt and that didnt help so i said the heck with it until about 6 months later when i noticed that when my car was idling it had a little metal knocking sound from the tensioner.So i replaced the tensioner as well as the belt this time fixing the bouncing of the tensioner as well as cured the anoying metal knocking sound the tensioner was making.Try replacing the belt tensioner it will probibly fix the problem cause it sounds like your tensioner has gotton weak and not holding your belt tight enough.