Pricing my car for sale

rjtiminskygtp

So I am selling my car and I was wondering if you could give me a price you think is reasonable. It's a 1991 Grand Prix GTP with a 5 speed. White, all options except Leather, ABS, and Luggage Rack, 125 000 kms, comes with 2 sets of tires and an aftermarket deck and aftermarket speakers in the rear and dash. New mufflers, new timing belt, well maintained. I am looking for a price in Cdn. Currency. I was thinking of asking around $5000.00. Input is greatly appreciated!

I would say $3k tops, and that would only be if you found an enthusiest to buy it. Probably wouldn't be worth more then $1500-2000 the average car buyer around here.

In the normally hot car market near my neck of the woods (Alberta), I can't see this car going for more than 2500-3000. The car is 15 years old now and even though you have done the timing belt, I would imagine there are alot more repairs around the corner for the new owner of this car.

Unless the car is in SHOW condition, your best place to try and get a high dollar for the car would be in the forums. A local listing probably won't get you 5000 or even 4500.

(this guy is selling a 1991 Z34 for 5300 but it only has 38000 on it, http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,41860.0.html , and it still isn't selling like hotcakes )

It musta been some nice Grand Prix to pay $5000 last year for...pics?

'91 is old.

It is "low mileage" for it's age though, so that is a good thing for you.

If the paint is VERY good, VERY LITTLE rust, and the interior is all intact and clean... you might be able to get like $4500 e-tested/certified.

It'll pass the inspectionw ith flying colors, the only probelm in the interior is the side of the drivers seat got broken while driving drunken friends home from a aprty...but it's still fine, all the adjustments work and it still has the stock Tape player that'll come with it

Well, it is very nice on the outside, "lower miles" and if the ONLY problem is the drivers seat, 4000 seems reasonable. I guess it depends what car market is hot in your area.

I really doubt you will sell it for equal or more than you paid. $5k seems exceedingly high. I always check the previous posts in the "Auction Watch" and "For Sale/Wanted" forums as well as the Canadatrader.ca and of course ebay to keep an eye on pricing although this may not be the most accurate way to gauge value.

Good luck on your sale, remember to post it on here first :mrgreen:

It'll pass the inspectionw ith flying colors, the only probelm in the interior is the side of the drivers seat got broken while driving drunken friends home from a aprty...but it's still fine, all the adjustments work and it still has the stock Tape player that'll come with it

FWIW: claiming that something will pass and actually having something pass inspections/certifications are two completely different things

Low:$2137

Average:$2937

High: $3512

Numbers quoted from NADA based on a '91 with that many km's

Also remember:

High Retail Value

A high retail vehicle should be in flawless condition. All power equipment should be functional. The paint should match and have a high gloss finish. The carpet and seat upholstery should be clean and have minimal wear. The engine should start quickly and run smoothly. The tires should be like new with a spare and jack. The mileage should be significantly below the acceptable mileage range for the model year.

These quotes...be they American or Canadian Currency? With the exception of the broken seat, my car fits the High Retail Value... I even have 2 sets of tires, one Brand New and One Just a bit worn, but still get 1 - 3 summers out of them

Those are USD, however the exchange is not much more. 2100 USD = 2347 CAD. So give or take $200.

With the exception of the broken seat,

"A high retail vehicle should be in flawless condition"

Yeah, Well, So according to that than $3000-3512. I'll see what I can do. I have however decided upon my next car, yeah I know, kind of putting the horse ahead of the cart but...anyways, I am thinking a Grand Prix GT, a 98-2001. I would go for another GTP but I cannot afford Premium...it'll be the death of me. So I am happy to say, I will remain a W-Body owner!

Oh and it comes with the Original Owners Manual, A 6 CD Changer, and uhh...I think that's about it... haha, anything else you can think of that I could mention to help draw more money?

If you have a complete paper trail history (Receipts and invoices for work done). That proves your claims to the parts replaced as well making the car more desireable as the new owner knows the life history.

I personally have a file folder with about 5 different slots, 1st slot has the Window sticker and anything that came with the car brand new.

2nd slot has all the previous owners paper trail. 3 has all of my work done to it. 4 has all my warantees on rebuilt parts etc, and the 5th has pictures and misc stuff ive collected on the car.

Making sure the car is in showroom condition, as far as exterior paint - claybar, waxing etc, interior - all the dirty creavasses in heater vents , behind the buttons etc.

Showing the seller you care for and have properly maintained it are the best bet when trying to negotiate the price you want.

Yeah no kidding...skiiirt you're a machine. I just have my paper trail which includes Timing Belt, new signal switch, Mufflers, and other misc things, and then the Owners manual and th emanual for the CD Changer...I'm the third owner so I imagine all the other paper, like everything else, got lost in the sands of time *gazes to the sky*