97 Grand Prix Day Time Lamps..How to turn off?

95oldsVan

Ours has a rather goofy setuo IMHO... if you turn the ignition on with the pbrake set, the DRLs are off... until you release the pbrake or put the car in gear. Setting the pbrake after the car is started does not turn off the DRLs.

-Jason

Ours has a rather goofy setuo IMHO... if you turn the ignition on with the pbrake set, the DRLs are off... until you release the pbrake or put the car in gear. Setting the pbrake after the car is started does not turn off the DRLs.

-Jason

Yeah, it's like that for almost all GM vehicles with DRLs. It'd be nice if they had a switch to turn them off. They don't bother me much, but sometimes I get people saying "Hey, your headlights are on"... :willynilly:

I'm not sure if I have DRLs and if I do, I doubt they are working. :lol: AFAIK you have to have them in Canada, and every car since 1990 has them. But my '96 Cutty doesn't seem too... I turn the car on, and if it's daylight, no lights turn on, unless I go under a bridge and it gets dark, or until the evening, that's when the lights turn on... Oh well, I haven't had any trouble with it yet, if I get pulled over, I might have to look into it...

Thanks for the replies...reasons to shut it off,unnecessary battery drain during the day and 2,my headlights have fogged/glazed over inside from the heat from them over the years.Someone installed one of the lamps in at an angle it and nearly melted the plastic inside of the lens...thats how hot them sobs get..I only had the car a short time so when I get new front lamps and lenses I dont want the added heat od DRL to fade them quicker over time or drain my battery life more than it needs.

Plus it looks STUPID.

:lol:

There is a connector you unplug behind the dash. I'll see if I can find the pics.

You can disconnect this connector behind the dash and it will disable just your DRL's. If you don't want your DRL's or the Auto on, you can pull the fuse. I don't have the fuse in mine and it works just fine that way. If I'm too stupid to turn my own lights on thats my own fault.

But my '96 Cutty doesn't seem too...

You know. I thought a friend has a 1995 Cutty because her DRLs didn't work. She told me she had a '96 and I'm like WHAT? LOL Never did figure out why they didn't work.

:lol: It's a '96 Cutty thing... :willynilly:

Any other '96 Cutlass owners, have something to say?

Just wanted to update for everyone that I pulled the fuse and the DRL are now off...very glad about that now...it was the 10 fuse inside the glovebox.

I checked the regular lights on/off and etc and everything else works as it should.

Thanks everyone!

:mrgreen: