Solder Joints on my gauge cluster

89GP_SE

Ok so I have read the page about how to repair the gauge cluster for the dummy lights and low fuel gauges but, will this also fix my speedo problems and my gas gauge always showing full?

Reason why I ask is because it doesnt mention it on the page. I know a guy that will do it for me for 20 bucks but I want to know if this will solve those problems as well. My speedo likes to say 0 alot :lol: And do you know how many times I have ran out of gas in the last 6 months! TOO many. LOL

I used to be able to go off my DIC for roughly how much fuel I had but now it always says ck fuel even though its full (it does work once in a while.)

Thanks,

Darren

I would just go by the trip odometer (useless you don't have an actual mechanical one in your cluster)....

as for speedo I dunno...

free bump

The best thing to do might be to get your cluster out and taken apart, then take some high res pics of all the circuit boards, post them on here and hopefully some people mspaint where the known problem areas are. A friend of mine has a similar problem on his car so it would be some quality info to have on the site anyways.

More than likely, it will fix your problem. When it comes to electronics, intermittents are rarely a sign of an actual bad component. It's almost always a bad solder joint. No guarantees though.

I am having the exact same problem myself with my 91 GTP. Except for me it's just my check gauges light, everything else is fine. It comes on and goes off and all the gauges are fine...it'd getting annoying because it's in the HUD too and I keep seeing it and it's really annoying. I am sure i know what I need to do BUT I am just too lazy to find a garage I can use for a couple of hours...

Well a friend of mine's dad owns the local electronics repair shop in town. I really dont want to solder this myself because i have never soldered before. So he said to bring it down and let him take a look at it and see what he can do. Every other place wants 50 bucks canadian just to look at the fucking thing. My buddies dad said if I bring it too him he would look at it for free, and fix it for about 20 bucks. Better than the 100 I was looking at before.

<------- Crosses fingers

Probably best to just solder every joint there is.

Many things in my W's have needed soldering over the years: auto climate control, TGP cluster, base digital cluster, keyless entry modules (many)... not a single one could I actually visually see any bad joints, but sure enough, resoldering made it work.