Getting ready for a road trip

Supreme Cutlass

I'm getting ready to make my first road trip in the cutlass (my first ever, alone); about 325miles from here to lubbock. What do I need to take with me? Alot of this is desert, so I'm thinking I definatley need a full repair kit, because there's absoultley nothing out where I'm going. What do I need to bring/ do? Should I bring extra fluids? Put on a tranny cooler?

Edit: what can I do to make sure I get optimal efficiency?

I would also check the air conditioner too and get the darkest tint you can find.

I'm not really worried about the A/C, as old as it is it blow freezing cold, unless you think I should get it checked out regardless.

my process for road trips:

Check tires for leaks - nothing sucks more than a leaking tire, and could cause a blow out

Check tire pressure - have the right amount in there

Check the lug nuts for being loose

Check all the fluids in the car

Check ur ball joints, cvs, and tierods for major wear, if something doesnt look right, it probably isnt.

Check for any lumps in ur tires, could cause a blowout

Fill the tank right full, then put some Fuel Additive in there, your choice but I usually use bardahl fuel system cleaner, you get two bottles in a box for 10 bucks, and each bottle is good for two tanks.

have a jug of oil in the trunk, and have a little bit of everything in there (ie. tranny fluid, powersteering, and brake fluid.) This stuff doesnt have to be brand name shit, this will always stay in your car from now on, use it only in emergencies.

i wouldnt worry about air conditioning, I never use it on the highway, I just turn my heater to cold and vent and usually its good enough for me (and doesnt use as much gas)

Check and make sure you have proper tire pressure in the doughnut, and you have all the stuff to change ur tire if it does go flat (happened where I had no air in the spare once, and another time i didnt have a tireiron or key for locking lug, NOT FUN.)

buy yourself a bottle of water, bag of chips, and some juice or pop. The less stopping you have to do, the better.

Follow this guide, and you should be fine. I do this everytime I leave for a destination far away. I once drove to LA from canada, long trip, 48 hours of straight driving besides stopping for gas, shit breaks, and mcdonalds.

Oh, and have a freaking cell phone you know will work out there.. man that sucks when you have no signal.

my process for road trips:

i wouldnt worry about air conditioning, I never use it on the highway, I just turn my heater to cold and vent and usually its good enough for me (and doesnt use as much gas)

A/C is a must down here, especially in a dark car.

Thanks for reminding me about the lugnut key btw, I could've been screwed there..

hey no problem for the help, my dad taught me well :mrgreen:

well in the case of ac just make sure the belt is good too, dont want that to snap

and the key, oh yeah you are gonna need that

Cheap replacement upper/lower rad hoses.

Check for any problem leaks like on the waterpump and such (especailly coolant if it's that hot out there).

If you care enough have a battery load test done at Autozone or someplace similar, and make sure the AC is fully charged.

Bring some music...especially if the drive is going to be boring.....

Make sure all your guages and idiot lights work in your cluster....driving through a dessert I'd keep my eye on the temp and oil pressure guage personally....

As for efficiecy just make sure your maintence is up to date, and as 89GP_SE mentioned, make sure your tires are proerply inflated (for both safey and efficiency)

As for the tranny cooler, if you feel it is ncessary by all means put one in.....I personally wouldn't bother myself though...

Best thing you can do is give yourself plenty of time to get to the destination (if you're meeting someone or something).....pushing the car hard to make a trip go faster will be hard on everything

EDIT- what degree thermostat is in your car right now?? You'll probably fine with whatever is in there as long as it is working, if it is a higher degree one though you might consider installing a cooler one

Bring some music...especially if the drive is going to be boring.....

Make sure all your guages and idiot lights work in your cluster....driving through a dessert I'd keep my eye on the temp and oil pressure guage personally....

As for efficiecy just make sure your maintence is up to date, and as 89GP_SE mentioned, make sure your tires are proerply inflated (for both safey and efficiency)

As for the tranny cooler, if you feel it is ncessary by all means put one in.....I personally wouldn't bother myself though...

Best thing you can do is give yourself plenty of time to get to the destination (if you're meeting someone or something).....pushing the car hard to make a trip go faster will be hard on everything

EDIT- what degree thermostat is in your car right now?? You'll probably fine with whatever is in there as long as it is working, if it is a higher degree one though you might consider installing a cooler one

whatever stock is..