Driving ?s--what's normal?

peeeot

The reason your convertible accelerates so slowly is because it is nearly 500 lbs heavier than other w-bodies. The 3.1 has to work hard to move that fat around.

I figured that had something to do with it, but I wasn't sure how much difference it was making. Numbers I've seen put the Cutlass Supreme coupes at 3200 lbs and the convertible at 3651. I guess I've been doing pretty well to get better than 19 mpg city consistently with a power-weight ratio like that.

It's too bad! I like the way the car rides/handles. If it had a bit more pep, it would be much more fun to drive.

ok ill end all confusion. the 2-3 shift is so small because while crusing the tc (toqure converter) under light to moderate throttle will alawys be at around 2k. wind first out to 4-4.5k and watch the shift to 2nd, i bet its a bit more because your out of the tc's stall speed. the stall speed on most w's is about 21-2400. unless you into the throttle some it will just kinda hover around that. as for the tc lockup, it does it past 45, while in cruise the car wont allow itself to kick into third or anything except lockup in 4th. i set the cruise fo 70 and hit resume doing 50 and it wouldnt come out of tc lockup. if you want to go out of tc lockup, all you have to do is let completely off the gas and get back on it and youll be in 4th. no need to kick down into 3rd unless you really want too. anything else???

I'm with you most of the way, but I still am not clear on the tiny 2-3 shift. If the stall speed of the torque converter and the minimal throttle are responsible, how come the 1-2 and 3-4 jumps are so large under the same circumstances? Also, I've noticed the 2-3 shift to be small even with moderate throttle. I'm curious about the actual gear ratios, but I can't find them anywhere.