3100 oil filters

Robby1870

Alright, I was changing my sisters oil on her 96 GP with the 3100. And, the oil filter that it calls for is really small compared to mine for my 3.1L. I just dont see how a filter that small can filter enough gunk out of the oil. And, its a PITA to get to, cuz its so short. So, does any know the p/ns for bigger oil filters that will fit the 3100? Just curious.

Robby

Well..the 3100 was made for those shorter filters. They are probably larger in diameter than the 3.1 filters. I know the filter for my 3.8 is a lot smaller than my 3.1 filter....but it must get the job done, because the oil comes out of the 3.8 a lot cleaner..compared to the oil that comes out of the 3.1 :)

Alright, I was changing my sisters oil on her 96 GP with the 3100. And, the oil filter that it calls for is really small compared to mine for my 3.1L. I just dont see how a filter that small can filter enough gunk out of the oil. And, its a PITA to get to, cuz its so short. So, does any know the p/ns for bigger oil filters that will fit the 3100? Just curious.

Robby

Pureoilater - #10111

It's a shorty and that's whats called for on that engine for the year made. I wouldn't recommend different size filters; incorrect sizes have know to cause internal oiling systems problems due to the wrong pressure of the spring release valve in the filter.

- RedFox340

The oil filter on my '93 S10 is bigger than the one on my '89 S10 because the '89 is a 4x4. Both have 2.8 v6's. It must get the job done fine because thats what the factory calls for.

Some oil filters are made with a bypass valve built into the filter in case of a filter clog-up. The valve only comes in certain filters. If they dont have a valve in them then it is somewhere in the oiling system in the block or pump. Dirty oil is better than no oil. I myself dont use the stock size filter. I wanted the extra capacity for the oil. If you buy an oil filter with a valve in it and you have one in the engine, then yeah that may cause a problem. If you buy a filter make sure the threads are the same. Oil filters do have different threadings for different makes of vehicles. If you want a larger oil filter you will have to look around for one that will fit the way you want it to. :) :) :)