4 door handle adjustment

stockgp

how do you get the door handles off a 4 door? i think i need to adjust the linkage on the pass side front door. everything is connected still, but the door won't open from the outside.

thanks in advance

Guest TurboSedan

what year car do you have?

it sounds like the linkage rod fell out of the outside handle....mine did exactly the same thing; it would only open from the inside.

you need to pull the door panel off, and then you'll see two access holes for the two 10mm nuts that hold the outside handle on. you'll probably have to remove a little rubber plug for one of the access holes. remove those nuts and pull the door handle off the door. now reach inside the door and find the linkage rod...it probably fell off and is sitting at the bottom of the door. most likely you'll need to replace the plastic clip on the bottom side of the linkage rod. the clips are available in the HELP! section at NAPA, Checker, Advance etc. after you put the new clip on the linkage rod, fish it up through to where the door handle is and slip it into the slot on the door handle. while you're holding the rod in place on the handle, replace the 10mm nuts that hold the door handle on. now while still holding the linkage rod in place, push the clip (on the bottom of linkage rod) into the latch mechanism at the door jamb area (you'll hear it pop in place).

it's kind of a pain in the ass to reach and you have to go by feel since you can't really see what you are doing. good luck.

thanks, that actually helped a lot.

the linkage didn't fall off. like i said, everything was still connected, i just had to take off the rod and adjust the nut down so the handle would push the latch open further