89oldscutlass

I went advance auto and got me a 180 thermostat hoping to get my car to run a little cooler,well i found out that my 89 olds cutty didnt run any cooler it just took longer to warm up.The problem is that my electric fan doesnt kick on till my engine gets a certain temp which i think on my 2.8 is 211 degrees.Does anyone know how i can get my fan to kick on earlier without wiring it on all the time or running a toggle switch to turn it on.The 180 did make my car run cooler on the interstate by alot its just when im in town that it heats up the same as my 195 did.Any suggestions guys?Before anyone ask heres the part number for anyone who wants to switch theres out its the same for 2.8 and 3.1 its a Stant Thermostat 13758-s375180.If you go in and just ask for one they will say they dont have one to fit your car so you will have to give them the part number because as we all know there rocket scientist behind the counter.

From what I have seen, the first fan comes on around 190-195* and the second around 220*. And, the only way I know, to change when they come on, is put a toggle switch in the car

Robby

Believe it or not my blue cutlass with the 2.8 only came with one big electric fan instead of 2 where my 89 cutlass sl with the 3.1 came with 2 fans i wonder why the difference.My 2.8 is the one i put the 180 thermostat in.

My 88' only has one fan and I know that some 2.8's did have duals, I always thought all 89 2.8's had duals but I guess I'm wrong. Either they were some kind of option or maybe they only came in later model 89's.

I have two 1989 cutlass supremes one of them has the 2.8 with one single big electric fan the other has a 3.1 it has two small electric fans.Both cars run about the same temp.I put the 180 thermostat in the 2.8 trying to get it to run cooler it does on the highway but not in town.I also have a 89 International it came with a 2.8 and it only had one big electric fan on it .Its my parts car.The only thing i can figure is that they started putting two fans on the 3.1 only because of the stroke defference.

there are 2 ways the change the temp the fans come on at.....change the prom in the car....or go buy an after market fan control setup...Hayden makes one I beleve...it's a little box you intall off the fan switch and it bypasses the computer to control the fans...you adjust the temp the fans come on with a little temp control knob

the prom is easyier to install but cost over 100 and not always easy to find

the hayden unit is cheap at 30$+ but takes a little wiring knowledge to install

hope this helps

Thanks Drache i think ill go that route.Do you know of any parts stores like autozone or advance auto parts that may have it?I hate ordering stuff i hate the wait but if i must ill do it.

AutoZone used to carry them but I do not beleve they still do ....but you can still order them....you will need to ask them to see thier hayden catalog.....most of them dont even know what they haver anymore...if I still worked for them 'ed just get you the part #....but I have moved on to better paying jobs :)

Hey, with a stock 195 *F computer, what is the advantage of running a 180*F thermostat? I wanted to put one in last year but was talked out of it because the computer runs its settings from the expected 195*F setpoint.

What's the real story?

I think only base model cars have 1 fan. Our 2 Internationals (88 and 89) both have dual fans.

If you have an EPROM programmer, changing fan turn on temps is a matter of changing 2 numbers. :)

If you have an EPROM programmer, changing fan turn on temps is a matter of changing 2 numbers.

Where the hell would one even get their hands on a EPROM programmer??? :?

If you have an EPROM programmer, changing fan turn on temps is a matter of changing 2 numbers.

Where the hell would one even get their hands on a EPROM programmer??? :?

Ebay, of course! Where else? :lol:

ok ...the thermostat allows the water to start flowing at 180 instead of 195....what the computer controls is when the fan comes on....while your driving it wont make any difference because you already have air flow.... but at idle the car will still run up 195 before the fans kick on.... not really such a big deal unless the car tends to over heat and thats why you are putting in the colder stat...it will still run alittle colder at idle because the radiator will still shed some heat...and run quite a bit colder while driving. I always run the 180 stat...just seems to work better even without changing the prom

the real big deal about running a colder stat and the computer chip gets more involved once you start racing...a colder motor can make more power with proper fuel ratios meaning changing the fuel tables in respect to the colder motor... that is what the guys are mostly talking about when it comes to the chips is that....if your arnt racing then changing the prom just for the stat is prob just a waste of money...I can't really explain every detail here but I hope thie helps