3.4 L Monte

rjtiminskygtp

Again, I am contemplating selling my Grand Prix and getting a new car, I have begun to look at new Montes, like a 2000 or 2001 with a 3.4 litre engine, I was wondering if owners of these could tlel me how they are for power, as I haven't driven one yet. Thanks in advance

the 3400 is alright for power. its alot better than the 3.1, but definitly not as good as the DOHC 3.4 that (if i remember correctly) is in your Grand prix.

more aftermarket than the DOHC, but again, you have intake gaskets to deal with......thats what i can recall

the 3400 is alright for power. its alot better than the 3.1, but definitly not as good as the DOHC 3.4 that (if i remember correctly) is in your Grand prix.

more aftermarket than the DOHC, but again, you have intake gaskets to deal with......thats what i can recall

the 3400 is almost as fast as the LQ1, but that is with 3.33 gears. I believe that the 00+ 3400 was mated to 3.29 or maybe even 3.06, so you will not feel the power as much but will get better fuel economy. Germ and manitcor both ran sub 16's on their 3400 swapped montes.

The 3400 is a very good power maker. Obviously, it may not be as quick as the 3800 though. But, a few bolt on's really do liven up the 3400 nicely.

Nametnom has a newer Monte w/ 3400. Bascially stock I think and he ran a 16.1 or something like that. Not a far cry from a stock 3.4DOHC.

From personal experience the 3400 is a nice engine, moves adequately. The 3800 is flat-out more fun though, I'd definatly buy one with a 3.8!

yup a 16.2 my first time out with it bone stock...

gas mileage is ok but far from great and although it is a good powered engine it almost begs for some after market addons to keep pace with alot of cars with similar setups, the gearing is the problem. i am looking back wishing i had found something with the 3800... granted i am probably over 200 HP now with mine, a 3800 would have been thre before i started tinkering with it

The 3400 is more suited for that car, feels more at home if you will. The 3100, although better on gas, is just underpowered.

I don't think 3100 was an option for those years of Monte Carlo... 3400s were the base engine.

The 3400 is more suited for that car, feels more at home if you will. The 3100, although better on gas, is just underpowered.

Game, set, match. :werd:

I don't think 3100 was an option for those years of Monte Carlo... 3400s were the base engine.

That is correct. The 3100 was last available in a Monte LS in 1999. 2000+ had the 3400 as the base engine.

I would also like to add that I don't think the 3100 is really better on gas than the 3400. If anything I would think the 3400 would be better in the city (cause it doesn't have to work so hard) and about the same on the highway..

If the 3100 was available in those cars, it would be under powered. But the gas milage this a good question though. I would think the 3100 would be better, ( of course this depends on how you drive as well ) Although it is still a v6, normally bigger engines tend not to get as good of gas mileage, once again assuming your driving them all the same on a completely stock engine.

nametnom, when your car/engine was bone stock, what did you get for gas mileage, also whats the weight of your car?

i never take the time to calculate mileage... too lazy but i average anywhere between 450-500 KM per tank of gas 64L you do tha math... and i think the curb is in the area of 3500lbs but i am not positive, someone knows what they weigh