Need IMMEDIATE assistance Please...

gmrulz4u

Just as I was pulling into my parking lot after driving home from work, I could all of a sudden tell that my 89 Supreme's 2.8 engine was wanting to die! It started as I was inching up to a STOP sign after someone else, it was stumbling and felt like it would die if I didn't step on the gas. On top of this, it all of a sudden started making a fairly noticable noise, the only thing I could relate it to would be "grinding". The tranny was shifting VERY late, I almost thought it wouldn't shift! I pulled into my parking spot, and I can garauntee that if I hadn't put it into Park, it would have died right away. Putting it in Park stabilized it a "little" bit. So I popped the hood and could see the engine vibrating and it was very "shaky". My final clue is the smell...it started to smell like rotten eggs or whatever...

I have a lot of less than year old stuff on this, such as:

- Cat. converter

- EGR valve

- Spark plugs

- Spark wires

- K&N Filter

etc...etc...

I have a FEELING it's one of three things:

- Vacuum leak

- Fuel pump

- Timing chain

I'm going to go back out tonight after the engine is cool and see what happens...I'm also gonna hook-up my AutoXray scanner to see some live sensor data...

Any help? THANKS GUYS!:)

PS There is no trouble codes at all!(like always:()

my 89 did that and it turned out to be a coil pack gone bad.Check and make sure all your plugs are firing.A word of advice if it is a coil pack go ahead and replace all 3 including the module.You can get all 3 coil packs and the module they set on for a $180.00 at Auto Zone.

Thanks...

I went back out tonight, and can add the following:

- The engine DOES start, and run, but is VERY shaky! Also, I can see the lights dimming every few seconds slightly...

- Forget that "rotten egg" smell I said earlier, I'm pretty sure tonight when I started it I could smell GAS!

- When I revved the engine in Park an extra 200-1000 RPMs, it would shake and stumble quite a bit, and smoothen out as the RPMs got higher

- There was a slight, but noticable "putt-putt" sound coming out the exhaust/muffler

I'm a little confused about one thing though, I'm pretty sure it's most definatley ignition related, but if so, wouldn't the engine fail to start? I guess I just don't understand how an engine can start, but have ignition problems?

THANKS!:)

Don't forget to try to remove the Oxygen Sensor and see if the shaking diminishes or the car's idle runs better.

It does not mean that you have a new Catalytic Converter, it won't fail early. Cats fails when it becomes poisoned and slowly clogged up due to emission problem.

You said you suspect vacuum leak, then get carb/tb cleaner or starting fluid to test for vacuum leak.

Get a Fuel pressure gauge to test for fuel pressure.

yeah a coil or ignition control module ( the thing the coils plug into). But, more than likely, its a bad coil. If you have a timing light, you can check for that easily.

Robby

:withstupid: I to think its the coil. The gas your smelling is the 2 cylinders not firing. I had this happen on my older Grand Am GT, and was only running on 2 cylinders! Didn't make it to far either.

Aaron

:withstupid: I to think its the coil. The gas your smelling is the 2 cylinders not firing. I had this happen on my older Grand Am GT, and was only running on 2 cylinders! Didn't make it to far either.

Aaron

This sounds like what happened to my car kinda, now i am stuck with a car that is only fireing from 5 cylinders..and everyone i spoke to said it was bad coils and ignition controllll

Well, you guys were right AGAIN!:) Of course there wasn't ever any doubt that you would be!

So yep, it was a BAD COIL! Fixed and running good again...

THANKS!:)

Thanks! It's kinda strange, because now EVERYTHING seems better!

Even the tranny shifts a lot better! I figure it's because a misfire causes poor vacuum, which in turn, causes poor shifts?

:)

Im pretty sure his problem is lack of compression in a cylinder. Valves prolly arent seating right

Robby

:evil: :bs: :wink:

I was talking about 89BuickRegalGS's car. Just to clear things up. :wink:

gmrulz4u, Glad to hear you got it up and running, now, go drive the tires off it. :D

Robby

hey cronic...I personaly have had just one side of one of the coils go bad so I was running on 5 cylinders....motor was shaking like a fat girl trying to do a hula dance....it took me 3 months to figure it out...I kept putting the timing light on the left plug wire on each coil and it looked good...finaly I asked my freind mike for help and walks over and starts testing on the right side prongs and low and behold my middle coil on the right prong wasn't firing