Engine noise in cabin

crc

Starting to get more noise coming into the cabin and it's getting very close to annoying. I know it's louder than when I first bought the cutty and as far as I can tell it's not due to the engine getting grouchier due to age.

What's there to look for? Insulation along the firewall? Behind the Instrument Panel and dash?

I'm not sure if it's related but I'm also starting to feel more vibration through the gas pedal. Even weirder is that during the winter I could feel engine heat buffing down around my legs when the car was on the move even though the heater was completely off.

Well.....all i can think of is look in the engine bay and look for a rubber grommet that might have fell out. Or get a midget to crawl under that cramped dash and look for a hole somewhere

That's my $.02

Well.....all i can think of is look in the engine bay and look for a rubber grommet that might have fell out. Or get a midget to crawl under that cramped dash and look for a hole somewhere

That's my $.02

Rusty floorboards maybe? :) :) :)

with our cars and many other GMs, they is always incoming air even in OFF.

You just have to adjust the temp slide.

My wife's Intrepid cuts off all air in OFF. I prefer the minimal incoming air myself. With her's, you put it to off and it gets cold no matter what the temp selector is on.

with our cars and many other GMs, they is always incoming air even in OFF.

Hmm.. not sure what you mean by incoming air.. do you mean the vents are always set open on off?

You just have to adjust the temp slide.

I've got Electronic Climate Control so would that still apply?

Well, added vibration + increased noise could definetly be the lower engine mount in need of replacement!

How I wish it was that easy! :)

I replaced my lower mount about a year ago.. It's pretty abvious when the mount is going bye bye.. rough engine vibration and eventually a very violent knock when accelerating...

No such thing this time (better not be, that lower mount ain't cheap)

It's more general engine noise intruding into the cabin much more than I can remember when I first picked up the car several years ago..

Have you done a general inspection of the door seals, particularly around the mirrors (believe it or not) I had excessive road noise (didnt really sound like wind noise at all) because they were out of proper shape. Also the doors might need an "alignment" basically tip the top of the door slightly inward, there's a few ways to do it. You have an idea where the noise is originating from? Like underdash, back, etc or everywhere? If nothing else, you could add foam insulation, or dynamat to the doors, behind headliner, etc. I noticed my interior noise level is excessive, but I never got a chance to correct it. I should take care of it soon.

For me it's mostly engine noise rather than road noise.. though eventually I'll have to also do something about the weather stripping and insulation around and in the coupe's two large doors..

What I'll probably do on some nice weekend is take off as much of the dash and upfront interior as I can and see what surprises are waiting for me :)

It's a 13 yr old car so I'm sure something will come up..

It's possible that some of the rubber isolators in the firewall have deteriorated (example being the brake booster to brake pedal area) Could you be hearing exhaust? Maybe the downpipe? Well something else you could do if you REALLY want to quiet the engine itself, is to get the lower and upper intake off a 91-93 3.1L. These use thinner bolts for the plenum with a rubber sleeve around it, and washers on the head of every one, plus the plenum gaskets are different (metal with rubber sealer, think of it like a metal version of the new style GM intake gaskets) this essentially isolates the plenum. I can drastically hear the difference on my sister's '93 and my friend's '91 3.1's. I was thinking of doing it myself, but I have an engine Im building up with the new style (gen 3) intake manifolds, heads, etc