any restrictions on stock mufflers?

stevegasm

Something I've been wondering about: Do the stock mufflers (specifically on 97+ GTPs) offer any air restrictions? I've heard that "they don't, the only reason why one would change them is for sound." I can't really say I enjoy the sound of a v6 that much, (I spoiled myself on my first car with a v8 and flowmasters) but if changing the mufflers from stock ones offer any gains, and reduce KR, I just might do it...

I phoned up a muffler place once and said I wanted some performance mufflers.. and they said it's all just for sound no difference in power.. I dunno :dunno: I would think that a modded engine would bennefit though (probably more so with a full exhaust done though)

The 97+ mufflers flow plenty until you're making considerably more power than stock("digitalKen" on clubgp made 400hp+ a long time ago w/ his stock mufflers still in place). You've already got rid of the biggest restriction(the u-bend), it would probably help ever so slightly to ditch the resonator and the catalytic converter though...but the car will sound like shit(stock mufflers already sound bad enough, except at idle).

That's what I figured, I wouldn't change the mufflers unless I was doing some heavy mods. The only way that i'd consider redoing the exhaust is if it doesn't sound like a v6 afterwards, which would be pretty hard considering it's a v6... :lol:

although, i've heard some pretty decent-sounding v6's, but they were all very different engines (like the 350z and G35) ::)