Cutlass vert interior light?

94OCSC

I just purchased a 1994 Cutlass Supreme convertible and have noticed that there's an interior light at the back of the center console that lights up the rear passenger floorboards. Anyhow, sometimes I catch this light staying on when the car has been shut off and all the other lights shut off, doors shut (locked/unlocked) and the other lights out. I've watched it after shutting the doors and noticed that as the other lights fade out within 15 seconds, this one will turn on and fade to be brighter as the others go out.

I'm assuming that something somewhere has been reversed somehow as this light will not come on with the other interior lights when turning on the interior lights with the switch on the dash. I've looked at the wiring to this light under the console and nothing appears abnormal... although I did find a black plastic connector that is not connected to anything else and has black and purple wires running to it... but there's nothing else in there that looks like it's been disconnected. The interior light in question has red and white wires.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this or where to look to try to diagnose the problem? What controls the fading of the other interior lights and how could this one have gotten reversed? Also, does anybody know what the connector with the black and purple wires is for?

I've pulled the bulb out of the offending light for now so that it doesn't run my battery down, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J.C.

the same thing happend to me in my 94 cutlass and now my interior lights wont go off at all so i had to pull the fuse and also the bulb for the armrest i dunno what it is man

Happened to me too. Ended up having to re-wire the dome lights and the maplight mirror and it was fine.

i did rewire my bar lights. well, basically just bypassed the switch and hardwired them to the rest of the interior lights