Tranny coolant lines broke =(

RareGMFan

Ok, so the radiator started leaking really badly a couple weeks ago. I finally found some time yesterday to take it over to a friend's garage to swap it out with the radiator from the TGP I parted out a couple years ago. Well.....the tranny lines wouldn't cooperate. I blasted it with WD-40 about 4 times, heated it 3 times, tried tapping the fitting, and between the line and fitting, etc. The fitting was turning fine, but it was taking the line with it. So....I had no choice but to cut it. :frown: Same thing on the bottom line, as the fitting on that one wouldn't budge, and rounded out. =|

So.....I figured I'd just get new aluminum lines, bend them to match, and we'd be good. I'm at work at the moment, so I had a buddy check into it for me. He just called me from Napa. They have tubing with identicle fittings and preflared on one end. BUT...the guy there told him there isn't enough tubing to bend at the first angles coming off the radiator. "It would be damn near impossible" is what he told him. He suggested going all rubber on the lines clamped to a small length of metal tubing with a similar fitting on the radiator ends.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and if so, how did you resolve it? Are the lines still available from GM, or anywhere else for that matter? This is kind of an emergency since the TGP was my only half way reliable car at the moment, and I can't have it down too long.

I had one of my transmission cooler lines fail in 2001...replacements were available for GM for like $7 each...I did them all, since when one goes, the others aren't far behind. They were pre-bent and very easy to install.

Was that for a TGP, though? I can see the regular GP ones being available, but I don't know about prebent ones for TGPs still being available.

why dont you go with an external tranny cooler mounted in front of the rad? might be better than stock. a lot of people have been considering this lately, you could be the pioneer of this mod.

Was that for a TGP, though? I can see the regular GP ones being available, but I don't know about prebent ones for TGPs still being available.

Mine was a 3.4L DOHC with dual coolers...both in tank and a factory external cooler. 1993 wasn't too far off the TGP years, but either way, check with a dealer first, if available, they're cheap and easy. Of course, it's 5 years since this happened.

Oddly enough, I saw your thread about TGP parts for sale (including a radiator) and was thinking about asking you if you happened to have the lines. Let me pay a visit to the dealer Monday. If new ones aren't available, I'll probably be hitting you up for those. I just like everything to be OEM on my cars as much as possible.

Oddly enough, I saw your thread about TGP parts for sale (including a radiator) and was thinking about asking you if you happened to have the lines. Let me pay a visit to the dealer Monday. If new ones aren't available, I'll probably be hitting you up for those. I just like everything to be OEM on my cars as much as possible.

They're not available anymore Dikran. Erik(prospeeder) had a topic about them a few months ago and this is what he posted after going to a dealership.

"well there discontinued, and they ran a nationwide search, nothin"

If you have to, a small section of rubber hose would work fine when you repair the lines(part of the stock lines are rubber anyways). I would flare the ends of the metal tubing you use for a replacement and then slip the rubber hose over it along with using fuel injection hose clamps(they clamp down more evenly in comparison to a worm-gear drive type clamp). Make sure to some good quality rubber hose that's designed to carry oil(power steering bulk hose would work great for this purpose, shouldn't be overly expensive either. It's "nitrile" treated rubber, so it won't fail in a short time like a regular ol' rubber hose.)

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that you might want to look at the stock rubber sections of those trans lines on the far driver's side of the engine bay if you haven't already. The ones on my car look like they're starting to dry rot.

I don't think my outgoing PMs are working. :eek: It doesn't show anything as being sent since the restructuring of the site. I PMed you about those lines, Josh. Let me know how much you want for them, and if you take PayPal. I kinda' need them pronto if I'm not going to go new custom lines.

Matt - Yeah, that's basically the set-up the guy at Napa told my buddy to use. I'd just prefer to go OEM style if I can. If the lines I get off Josh fail later down the road, I'll probably go that route. But for now, since someone has them available, I'd rather go factory.

Guest TurboSedan

I don't think my outgoing PMs are working. :eek: It doesn't show anything as being sent since the restructuring of the site. I PMed you about those lines, Josh. Let me know how much you want for them, and if you take PayPal. I kinda' need them pronto if I'm not going to go new custom lines.

Matt - Yeah, that's basically the set-up the guy at Napa told my buddy to use. I'd just prefer to go OEM style if I can. If the lines I get off Josh fail later down the road, I'll probably go that route. But for now, since someone has them available, I'd rather go factory.

yup, i got your PM. i'll reply now...