Door handle compatability

fastbird232

The search function wouldn't work for me.

I just bought a door handle from an '89 SE. Taking a look at it, it looks slightly different than the ones on the '95 GTP I bought it for. There's a harness for a lighted key ring and some kind of motor attached to the lock cylinder. Will this handle work on the GTP?

handle1.jpg

Sorry, my camera has no macro mode...

Ok, so it's an actuator about an inch and a half long, mounted on a bracket attached to the handle guard. The actuator arm extends about 3/4" down where it connects to a small lever attached to the lock cylinder. It would appear to be some kind of power lock mechanism. The wires coming out of it are gray and black.

Also on here are an orange and white wire (one orange and one white) that go to the lighted key thing. All four wires end combine into a two-foot harness and end in a pigtail.

Again: will this sync up to the '95 GTP, or should I just cut this shit off it?

Hmm.. that almost seems like what our 95 Lumina APV has.... stick the key in, turn it gently and it unlocks the doors.... I've never heard of such a thing on a W though :dunno: I'd try to sync it up for sure if that's what it is...

Hey, I never thought about that, having it work the other way and having the cylinder trip the actuator and unlock the rest of the car.

keyless entry option my old door handle had that

W-body's never had anything attached to the handle for keyless entry. On 89's and maybe 88's if you had security lighting there would be a box attached to the handle.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's a switch for security lighting, not a solenoid. I could be wrong though, I don't know anything about the security lighting feature.

Well, I took it off. There's nowhere on the GTP door to run a harness through, so I just unbolted the whole assembly before I installed the handle. Anyone want the harness?

Of course it does! I also have the small spacer that goes between the lock cylinder hold-down bolt to compensate for the extra space the light makes when it's sandwiched between the lock cylinder and the handle.

Hey, I never thought about that, having it work the other way and having the cylinder trip the actuator and unlock the rest of the car.

My fiance's parents' Toyota Previa works that way. You turn the lock cylinder to the right twice and it unlocks the rest of the doors.

On all of my Trofeos, if you would turn the key to the right and hold it, it would unlock both doors. I really like that feature, but since my '94 has working RKE, it's not something I would care to adapt. I've used the key to unlock the door ONCE in all these years.

• 8 months later...

i had a question but didnt want to post new. I have a door hanle from a 92 GP and i am working on a 94 GP that needs a handle I am pretty sure but arent they the same between GPs

exterior? they are the same.