91 buick ub3 help, search didn't help

dougruss3

First of all I just wanted to say that I am new here and I really like this site, it has helped me imensely in a few problems that I have had with my car, especially the UB3 install. I currently own a 91 buick regal custom that the instrument cluster went into. Now for the problem, The cluster has the shift lever indicator in the lower left of the cluster that I guess is for column shift cars, but my car has the floor shifter. Now this little indicator just flashes for a few seconds then just stays lit, it doesn't indicate what gear its in when you shift. I was just wondering if anyone out there has come across this problem and if so how do you get it to work. Also there is 2 plugs on this cluster the big one then theres a little one that has 4 wires coming out of it, what is this second plug for, the shift indicator maybe? Other than this little problem the rest of the cluster works great thanks to you guys.

the shift indicator is electronic, from what i gather. that second plug is for the indicator. there will be somewhere on the back of the cluster to plug it in

What I meant to say is that I have the the plug for the digital cluster but there is no wires in my original harness to hook it up to. Maybe if someone could post a wiring diagram for it and the base cluster that may help.

Mine is a '91' 4 dr Regal Custom with stock floor shift. When I put my UB3 in, the car had no wires/connector for the second smaller connector from the cluster. I just left it unplugged since I have the floor shifter lit up anyway.

My cluster PRNDD21 doesnt light up at all....which I like since it's not connected. Not sure why your's lights up and mine doesn't.

Also....the module that sits under the radio suffers from not enough ground wires and hot wires. Being lazy I just set the E/M button for english and used the hot wire for the trip odometer. I also made sure the cluster display button was toggled for full number and bar graph display. I brought down the grey illumination wire (8) from the cluster connector to get a second of the three buttons to light up.

I ran the odometer and cluster display toggle wires down from the cluster but couldn't find any pin-out connector tips to splice in so Only my trip odometer/odometer actually toggles. Used the E/M pin-out tip. Just last month I found a couple doner cars but have been too lazy to dig in to the job.

Yeah, its weird, not only does it light up but it flashes for about 2 minutes before it stays lit, it gets annoying sometimes. On the little module under the radio I just took it from the doner car that I got the cluster from. Took the plug that clips in the dash and all, all three buttons work perfect. I just wish I can get the stupid indicator to work right, lol.

On the little module under the radio I just took it from the doner car that I got the cluster from. Took the plug that clips in the dash and all, all three buttons work perfect. I just wish I can get the stupid indicator to work right, lol.

See, now that's weird because mine didn't have the wires back there for anything other than the E/M button. You got a better wiring harness. Maybe they ran out of basics. That could be something to do with the PRNDD21 lighting up. Just a thought.

On the little module under the radio I just took it from the doner car that I got the cluster from. Took the plug that clips in the dash and all, all three buttons work perfect. I just wish I can get the stupid indicator to work right, lol.

See, now that's weird because mine didn't have the wires back there for anything other than the E/M button. You got a better wiring harness. Maybe they ran out of basics. That could be something to do with the PRNDD21 lighting up. Just a thought.

No, what I meant to say is that i took that connector out of the doner car at the j/y and just ran wires from the plug up to the cluster.