Spray-on window tint... ?

supreme_style21

:shock: , i've only seen guys use that shit on jeep plastic windows or on tail lights, i wouldnt want to try it, i bet it'd be a real bitch to get off if it turned out like shit. Later Jay

I used this stuff years ago on the rear window of my '74 Camaro. I'd consider this method if I was timting glass with compound curves. You can tint compound curves with film, but you need to practice shrinking the film to fit using a heat gun. Anyway....

It came out pretty good considering it was a DIY job. The one thing that you need to ensure is that there is absolutely no dust on the window before you apply the stuff. Also, because this stuff slowly runs down the glass as it dries (kind of self-leveling) you need to get the glass in a some what upright position.

This stuff did start to peel after 4 or 5 years, but it came off in sheets like regular film tint and didn't leave that adhesive residue. It's really not as durable as film. but it might have been my poor prep work that effected the life of the coating.

At the time, there were glass shops around that used to tint using this method. IIRC it was called Flow-Coat or something. Commercial shops would remove the window in order to stand it upright to allow the coating to flow or run off the window evenly, and apply the stuff using one of those pump up gargen sprayers. They would place the glass in a paint booth to reduce the chance of dust ruining the job.