keep blowing convertible fuse - anyone else seen this?

briandors

1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, almost 150k miles.

I'm still struggling with fuse #19, 15 amp, accessory circuit #1. It blows often.

On this circuit are:

- power door locks

- door lock switches

- convertible top motor

- power antenna

I have put my multimeter into the circuit while testing the accessories, and none of them is drawing a high current under use. I therefore suspect a wire is shorting to ground rather than some accessory drawing too much power.

To further support this idea, I have never once been able to make the fuse blow while the car is stationary. I can sit there working all the accessories over and over and over and they work great with the car stationary. Then I go for a short drive and the fuse blows. So I think the wire break is somewhere that the body flexes.

I have checked the following:

1. Removed both interior door panels, carefully inspected all wiring, connectors, etc. I also checked the wires where they go through the rubber grommet between the door and the jamb.

2. Removed all trunk trim, and checked that the wiring in the trunk area going to the convertible motor is in good shape.

3. Antenna motor area at side of trunk, everything checked out.

4. Removed driver's side door sill, and pulled back carpeting. Checked large loom of wire that runs from the dead pedal area in the driver's footwell back towards the rear, nothing damaged in there.

Any ideas where to look? Which door sill area do the convertible motor's wires run down, passenger side??

Thanks

Brian

you could try unpluging all items except 1 and see if you can go a few days without it blowing. maybe that will help isolate which set of wires to replace

Found the problem on a tip. :) The wires that lead to the convertible top switch in the center console were being pinched by the shifter itself. Took off center console cover and found two wires severely smashed. Fixed 'em and this monkey is OFF MY BACK!! :razz: