Air Conditioning not working

K8JWT

I have a 1994 Pontiac GP 4dr sedan and ever since I got it in July 2005 the AC has never worked as when I turn it on nothing happens? I was told that there is a pressure control sensor that if the AC pressure is to high or low it will stop the compressor from activating? The compressor appears to be in good shape externally.

Would like to get the AC running before summer heat hits again this year but if its going to cost me major $$$ I will stick with the windows down and maximum allowable speed....

Remove the airbox (where the air filter resides) and locate the AC accumulator canister. There should be a fitting either directly on the canister or on one of the lines running to it. Remove the cap on the fitting and depress the schrader valve to see if any refrigerant shoots out. If nothing comes out, add a couple of cans of refrigerant to the system (right at the port you "tested.")

I'd recommend buying the huge can of refrigerant that has a built-in pressure gauge so you can monitor how much you've added to the system...

Just buy a retro fit kit from Wally World.....also I think you can use something called Freeze12...which whioe it works in the R12 system, isn't as effective

DAMN i wish I could get a can of R12 in Canada

They sell shit at NAPA that's compatible with the old stuff.. it's like $40 a can though..

I bought the fucking kit for $80 (well $40 actually, they made a mistake) and it all leaked out. Yay for me.

also I think you can use something called Freeze12...which whioe it works in the R12 system, isn't as effective

I wouldn't bother with a fancy blend. A/C professionals actually recommend against it.

http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=10150&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Their performance is also not that great.

http://www.ackits.com/testresults/alttest.pdf

Just stick to a R-134a conversion.

I have a 1994 Pontiac GP 4dr sedan and ever since I got it in July 2005 the AC has never worked as when I turn it on nothing happens? I was told that there is a pressure control sensor that if the AC pressure is to high or low it will stop the compressor from activating? The compressor appears to be in good shape externally.

Would like to get the AC running before summer heat hits again this year but if its going to cost me major $$$ I will stick with the windows down and maximum allowable speed....

try ebay to find a rebuilt compressor.. i found a whole kit for 130 shipped to my door i will let you know how it goes. + comes with warrenty woot!

i paid $300 to fix mine 2 summers ago...$200 for a new condenser and $90 for a system check and charge. now it blows hotter air than my heater