system install

knightmare_1989

ok im new and a little lost. i cant find a good spot to run my power cable on my 98 lumina. ill be running 4 gauge wire all the way to the trunk. i was on a car audio board and they tried telling me all i can do is drill for that large of a wire or run a smaller wire which is not possible for my system. i dont mind drilling if needed but would prefer not to. thanks for any and all help

Dan

1) Solution without drilling : could try running it through a fender and then under all the plastic trim around the doors on the floor.

2) Run it under the car, and drill a hole into the trunk. (If you do this, please cover the wire with a protector, nothing like a car fire from faulty install.)

ive heard of the fender idea but im a mechanic and ive seen to many fires from that type of stuff. as far as the trunk goes is there a safe place to mount the cable with out it hanging to the ground. i looked at the firewall and it looks like i might be able to drill at the angeled part of the floor board with out any issues.

Dan

You could always buy some wire ties at a local hardware store and tie them up to the other wires under the car.. or cuel lines or brake lines to keep them from rubbing on the ground

ill look at that tom when i put it on the lift at work see if theres a nice place. got to much in the sound system not to want to keep it away from harm.

Dan

if you run it under the car get some hose they use on soda machines. the clear hose with white fibers in side it . run wires in side that and silicone the ends.

This has been covered several times in the past.

There is a rubber plug near the brake vacuum booster. It's rather large. You can slit a hole in it with a knife and run as big of a wire through it as you want. That's how most people with automatic transmission cars do it (that hole is for the clutch pedal linkage on manuals).

This has been covered several times in the past.

There is a rubber plug near the brake vacuum booster. It's rather large. You can slit a hole in it with a knife and run as big of a wire through it as you want. That's how most people with automatic transmission cars do it (that hole is for the clutch pedal linkage on manuals).

Thats how I ran mine. Its just to the right of the brake booster and maybe half way down it. Just tape like a pen or something solid to the wire, and push it through the grommet and then pull it into the Interior. Then for running the wire in the Interior, run it under the carpet.

Here is a pic of the above referenced location:

firewall.jpg

If you run a 4ga wire, do not connect it to the Auxillary Postive terminal (on the driver's side fusebox.) Connect it directly to the battery. Look in the car stereo section of Wal-Mart for the part to connect your 4ga wire to the battery (it's a Scosche brand.) I have a blurry pic of mine:

batteryblock.jpg

Notice how the supply wire from the battery to the aux terminal is only 8 gauge? If you were to connect a 4 gauge wire to the aux terminal, that "supply" wire would eventually melt to a crisp!

i think im using 8 guage (maybe 10) on my aux post and its been fine, and I used the fender method. I need to redo it, but it's actually worked really well, and i check it occasionally for fraying or anything, and so far its held up perfect, but i may have got it in just the right spot too :dunno:

had it on the lift and i found a spot just under the pedal assembly to the left that we drilled and ran the power wire for. so now my system is all done and ive already got my first ticket from it. lol that plug that is refered to has a cable running through it on mine unless im looking at the wrong one in that area. i do appreciate all the help though.

Dan

I used to have mine ran to the AUX. I never had a problem with it, although I know those who have had their fair share of troubles with it. I would recommend hooking everything up to the battery though.

Glad to see you got it working!