automatic belts

badprix

I did the VIN check and I have automatic seatbelts but they dont work (thank god) is there any way I could see what runs them or fix them. Im not going to fix them but im just curious.

What do you mean they don't work?

GM's version of automatic seatbelts...

Buckle the seatbelt. Then open the door. If the door opens and closes with the seatbelt buckled, VOILA! Automatic seatbelts!!!

Seriously, that was GM's version of a passive restraint.

It's how they got away without putting airbags in these cars until 94, while Ford and Chrysler were putting in airbags way earlier.

um wth r u guys talking about? do u mean how both ends of the seatbelt pull out? i LOVE that...in fact gm cars with that are the only cars i actually used to wear my seatbelt in because of that. it just made it easy and quick to buckle it. if ur not talking about that then im confused.

I'm talking about GM's "automatic" seatbelts.

It's the whole reason they're on the doors. Buckle your seatbelt, then open the door and get out without unbuckling it. You will be able to do it. You should also be able to get back in with the belt still buckled. It's also the cause of that click you hear when you pull on the door handle with the doors locked. That click is the sound of the solenoid disengaging the inertia lock system of the seatbelt so that the door will open fully even with the belt buckled. That's how GM qualified them as a "passive restraint" and delayed airbags for 4-years.

I honestly can't think of anyone that actually uses them in their "automatic" method of operation though.

oooooooh lol! I thought the "automatic belts" were the kind with the motors that moved the belt forward. My mom had a Tempo with those I think they wound up cutting the belts out, dangerous I know.

But what sucks is if your door opens during a crash, you are no longer wearing a seatbelt. :lol:

Let's just hope that never happens!!!

Maybe that's why W-body strikers are so huge!

My truck just has a little U-shaped striker that's maybe 1/4" thick at the most. W-body strikers are almost 1/2" thick I think.