Those of you pondering DIC installations on 88-93 GP's

Gearhead43

The difficulty level would depend on your GP already having the wiring factory installed. The DIC pigtail would be located under the floor console and could be taped & tucked away under the carpet as far forward as near the firewall!. So you got some digging to do. Most 88-93 GP's do not have them. However, some 92-93 models with the high end option packages will include the DIC and the HUD wiring harnesses.

If your GP's do not have the wiring, you'll have to add it yourself by fabricating a wiring harness out of the DIC pigtail from the floor console to the upper instrument panel locations. Then you'll need the complete "Mini Operating console" RPO Code DK4. And that includes the front PNROD21 and rear housing, the DIC itself, The wiring connector pigtail, the cig. lighter wiring extensions, screws, and the clip retainers,

Wiring assistance is up at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/gearhead43/DavesGP/page12.html

There are 3 distinct types of DIC's you need to be aware of:

1. 88-90 2 door LCD type DIC. This unit is a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD). It has a multi-colored screen and has the standard english/metric (E/M) switch wired to the external pod under the wiper swtch (88-89 only). The 90 LCD E/M switch is placed internal in the DIC.

2. 90-up STE 4 door VFD type DIC. This unit is a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) type. They are mono-colored greenish displays and feature the additional doors on the display face as well as more warning features that scroll across the top of the display unit. Those functions require the installation of the warning interface module which is located above the glove box between it and the dashpad. It looks like a Mini AMP. It must also be wired into the car wiring AND the DIC. The interface requires the special STE Pigtail with the addtional "DATA" wires.

3. 91-93 2 door VFD type DIC. This unit is also a VFD with internal E/M switch functions. They are a direct swap for the older LCD units with the exception of the E/M swtich for 88-89 GP's. This is your best bet if you own a 2 door. However, LCD DIC's are easier to find than the VFD units.

Regards,

Great info, Dave! But some corrections...

There are 3 distinct types of DIC's you need to be aware of:

There are actually only 2 distinct type of DIC's...

2. 90-up STE 4 door VFD type DIC. This unit is a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) type. They are mono-colored greenish displays and feature the additional doors on the display face as well as more warning features that scroll across the top of the display unit. Those functions require the installation of the warning interface module which is located above the glove box between it and the dashpad. It looks like a Mini AMP. It must also be wired into the car wiring AND the DIC. The interface requires the special STE Pigtail with the addtional "DATA" wires.

3. 91-93 2 door VFD type DIC. This unit is also a VFD with internal E/M switch functions. They are a direct swap for the older LCD units with the exception of the E/M swtich for 88-89 GP's. This is your best bet if you own a 2 door. However, LCD DIC's are easier to find than the VFD units.

These two are one and the same. There is only one VFD DIC.

On a 4-dr, the additional warning module makes all other icons functional, including the door icons and other warning lights.

The 2-dr got the same DIC. It too, has the additional door icons (4-door icons). The difference is the 2-dr cars never got the additional warning module, so the additional door icons are disabled and never turn on. You would never know they were there unless you carefully examined the DIC display under bright light.

Ok I stand corrected Thanks Shawn... I have seen the STE 4 door VFD DIC.. and I have seen the door icons under bright light... but never a 2 door... My mistake.

Red... Yes it should work.. You will not have to hook up the E/M lt. blue wire cuz the E/M switch is internal on the 91 DIC.. it is part of the MODE button. On the 89 it is under the wiper pod... The only problem I see is that the 89 Digital dash uses the E/M pod mounted switch to toggle between E/M settings on the Dash and the DIC on an LCD equpped GP. But because yours is in the DIC, the wiper pod will not toggle between E/M in the DIC, you'll have to do it separately on the 91 DIC.

Are you going to hook up the interface too?

Good info on the DIC on your site. After seeing that, Thank God I already have one. :P Didn't know I had little door icons running around in my DIC. :lol: How do you get them to work?

The door icons are only on the VFD DIC. TGP coupes only came with the LCD DIC.

Even if you put a VFD DIC in your TGP, the door icons won't work without that hidden warning/indicator module (it has serial bus communications with the DIC). That module's wiring is like spaghetti, it has connectors coming out of it every place! I don't know that I'd want to install it. It might be easier to gut both cars and transplant the entire harness!!!

The lamp outage warnings would be nice to have though.

The interface also controls the warings for things like low washer fluid lvl, Bulb outtage, door ajar ...Maybe Coolant level? If you have a 91-93 STE Owners Manual it would tell you what the indications are on the VFD DIC