Exhaust Labor

89Cutlass

I have bought a new catalytic converter and muffler and was wondering if anyone new what kinda labor $$ it would cost to get a muffler shop to cut the old ones off and install the new ones ?? any ideas

I had pre-bought a glasspack, two mufflers, and tips

I went to a small town shop and got the glasspack (in place of converter), mufflers for dual exhaust and tips all welded up with their 2.25" pipe for $160. So from down pipe to tips, $160.

Thats meineke's price. Since I was on a budget I would buy my parts and get them welded seperately on my cav. 3 diff mufflers were the same price each time $50ea, hi-flow cat $50, mustang engine limiter $50. Header to cat flange (pos pacesetter bolts) $35. 2 1/2" cat-back piping $75. Weld the flex coupling to the crossover they told me $50 (gonna do that soon) :D !

Since my car is registered in South Carolina which is like the only state were its legal to drive a car with out a cat on it. IS there something better i can do besides putting a new car on there ?

ummmm like try again....if the police catch you with out a cat it major fines.... but there is no smog check and no inspection here so alot of people run without the cat

if you want to run straight pipe then gut your cat and just shove a pipe in the center that way there is no way they can visually tell. I live in va and we have state inspection every year, and emissions every 2 years so legal is my only alternative.

you can tell 2 ways if the cat is bad.

* Use a sniffer

* take a temp reading (should gain ~150* from the front to the rear of the Cat) so a lazer temp reader will tell that in about 2 seconds.

Shane