Regal Digital dash wires?, Shawn L/Brian P

Lee

Okay, I know form comparing wiring charts between Supremes and Regal that even the UB3's have different pin-outs.

Here's my dilema #1. My base digital has a [grey 8] wire but no matching wire in the UB3. Your supreme has one in both the basic and UB3. This is [grey 8] Illumination, variable voltage when lights are on and dimmer control is turned. (see section 8A-110).

I'm guessing this runs the bulbs in the cluster that light the odometer and gas gage. They would dim as the lights in the radio and heating controls dim. Therefore I wouldn't need this wire anymore.

Dilema #2. My base cluster [ORN 640],Battery power to cluster. Hot at all times. (see section 8A-11)...Corresponds to the UB3 [ORN 640], Ignition power to cluster. Battery voltage at all times. (8A-11)

The wording is different but the rest seems the same.

I have an empty pin-out that needs to be filled though. It is [WHT/BLK 343], Ignition power to cluster. Battery voltage in OFF and RUN.(no section listed).

This appears to me to take the same requirements as the [ORN 640]. Could ][ORN 640] be spliced to satisfy this problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated very much. I got a little more but can ask later.

if your new cluster doesnt have bulbs for back-lit buttons, then you're right about not needing it. #2, yea you can splice the org wire no problem, just be sure the org and wht wire do the same function

Yeah, the two wires seem to be needing the same thing. It's just that the descriptions vary slightly. One says "Battery voltage at all times. (8A-11)."

The other says, "Battery voltage in OFF and RUN"

Both say, " Ignition power to cluster."

The ORN 640 wire goes into D-16 on the connector. The non-existant WHT/BLK 343 goes into D-15.

Even the ORN 640 has a slightly different description between base digital and UB3. One says Battery power to cluster, the other, Ignition power. Same difference YA?

Thanks Brian!!

It should be okay to connect ORN 640 to that wire, but I'll check my schematics tonight. I have access to most W-body schematics now. :) If you don't get a reply by the time you head for bed tonight, shoot me a PM to remind me.

It's possible that wire has a special function... if it's hot ONLY in OFF and RUN, that could mean it's 0V in ACC and CRANK. Although, right now I can't think of any reason for a wire to be hot in ONLY OFF and RUN.

Those two wires go into C-15 and C-16 not the D slots. I typed wrong.

Shawn, do you agree that I may not need the grey 8 wire?

Thanks much for checking. This cluster has been waiting about 9 months to go in. I got the new Eng/Metric; Trip Od; Cluster Display module in. No wires for trip od. and display. I'll have to extend wires from the cluster and find some pin-out connectors to fit into the empty holes in the connector. I do have another question about that.

The Eng/Metric connector has a Lt Blue wire which goes to the cluster, a black wire which I assumed was ground, and a grey wire which must be a HOT of some sort to close the circuit right?

I ask because the trip Od. is only one more wire, the one to the cluster. I'm assuming it shares the grey and the black wires in the connector. The trip od. is a momentary switch. It doesn't click and stay in. The display cluster button is the same but has pin-out slots for itself, 3..I'm assuming the wire from the cluster, a grey and a black.

You probably have to see it to get it fully. The E/M and Trip are both together in the plug. The display button has its own plug. (Even though both of them share the same connector bar) See...you have to see. Shouldn't have returned that digital camera.

If there are no buttons at all and no writing that lights up on the cluster, then I don't see why you should need the gray wire.

Yeah, on the E/M button, the LT BLU is the E/M output, open for English and Grounded for Metric. BLK is indeed the ground, but GRY is the illumination input. Not positive on this, but knowing GM, I'm pretty sure. In fact, that GRY wire should be connected to that GRY wire you mentioned earlier.

Okay! I think I get the grey wire in the E/M module. The original one was by itself with a big button and smooth on the button face(did not light up). The new one has little circles on the face off each of the three buttons, E/M, trip, and display. They must light up and are variable brightness with the grey wire(wires when wired in someday). Makes sense. I haven't driven it with lights on since installing it. I still shouldn't need the one in the cluster.

The E/M etc. button is below my radio head unit.

Not my car but see the buttons.

http://strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/Settterboy/fullsize/90+Regal+int..jpg

I really apprieciate your time guys.