94-96 Grand Prix Front Fascia Removal

jeremy

94-96 Grand Prix Front Fascia Removal.....does anyone have a write up or maybe something from the manual that shows the removal procedure for the front fascia.

Thanks in advance.

Me and Q-ball removed one last week from a 96 GP SE B4U in the junkyard

I don't remember too much cause I was just trying to get the damn bolts off (no engine in the car, easy access, and it's Q-balls' fascia not mine :lol:)

There is, however.. 3 of those cheap "throw away bolts" one each side that attach the fender (in front of the tire) to the fascia. You'll want to take off the inner wheel-well to get at them. You'll also see a metal brace thing that connects the fascia to the car, when you look in the wheel well.

PM Q-ball for more detail cause he probably remembers more than I did.. I was just his helper LOL

I need to replace my B4U on my car since the fiberglass under the finish is showing. Those bolts are verytricky but dont break them, you will want to keep them for later if and when they break. The inner wheel well can be removed to gain access to other parts of the bumper and wheel skirts, its a couple of screws. I found it easiest to jack up the side in question and turn the wheel from one full lock to the other to get at the screws without losing your mind.

It wasnt easy at all. Basically start from under the hood. Just look to see where it is attached. Its got a lot of tight spaces. I also just went back yesterday and took the whole bumper and foam. That was much easier. Even though the bolts busted, we just got them torched off :lol:

The one I found was in a J/Y. Your gonna have to get under the wheel wells. Take off the plastic crap so you can get to the bolts. I believe there is 3 or 4 throw away nuts. Basically they are a very cheap nut/washer just almost acting like clips. Those are near the front quarter panel of the car. Just look out for bee's. I had 2 bee's nests in there that I didnt want to really piss off. :lol:

You'll also see the arm that connects the left and right side of the front fascia. Be sure to remove that. Ofcourse your going to have to disconnect all the lights as well. The front sigals can stay in, just unscrew the bulbs. For the other lights, you need to remove these as well.

You'll feel it getting really loose, but it still wont move. Carefully rock if left and right, than pull up to get it over the foam on the bumper.

Trust me, when its off, it feels great. Like you just won the battle.

Its not an easy job, give yourself a good few hours. Also bring a speed ratchet, and needle nose pliers and vice grips.

Hope it helps. I could take a picture of mine later today with all my other crap I got yesterday...

But many thanks to C-Bad for helping me!

Only pics I have somewhat of the bumper... as of right now

img25218yd.jpg

ill post the method to my mayhem that will save a little work involved with Q-Ball's write up.

1) 3 bolts on each side for the fenders. just lay underneath with an extension and a flashlight, dont bother removing inner fender well.

2) side bumper supports, simple enough.

3) couple screws in each fender to release fender liner from bumper assembly

3) 4 screws underneath lower valence for air dam

4) 5 screws on upper portion of lower air dam

UNDER HOOD

1) remove headlight access covers

2) remove all push tabs for upper bumper support/pry bumper cover over upper support

FINALLY

1) push down sides of bumper cover to clear the fender mounting screw stubs

2) pull bumper outward taking caution to not break the metal headlight supports that are melted to the black headlight assembly bezels

...and tada...your bumper cover is off without having to remove fender liner or headlight components.

takes roughly an hour on a bad day

EDIT: i just now notice fascia, not bumper cover. well, everything else is straight forward. if you need any help or manual pictures, i can hook you up. when i slid into the car, i made it easier on myself..... :lol:

DSC03278.jpg

DSC03278.jpg

Ok, now just imagine the car is black, and there's a guy (looking half-insane with rage) yanking on the fascia trying to rip off that last little bit where it's attached to the fender. That was me in December.

Not much help for you, but that picture just brought back memories.

Ok, now just imagine the car is black, and there's a guy (looking half-insane with rage) yanking on the fascia trying to rip off that last little bit where it's attached to the fender. That was me in December.

Not much help for you, but that picture just brought back memories.

I still don't get how you managed to do that....

I was backing out of the car wash stall when I saw a car waiting behind me. I thought he was pretty close, so as my car pulled out I cut the wheel hard to back around the guy behind me. But as the rear went left, the nose of the car pivoted to the right, and dragged on the doorway to the stall hard enough to snap all the mounting tabs off the right side.

HEZA...that helps a LOT...thanks :thumb:

no problem! you name a part on a '94-96 Prix 3100 or 3.4, BYP or B4U, im certain ive done something with it at one point.

I was backing out of the car wash stall when I saw a car waiting behind me. I thought he was pretty close, so as my car pulled out I cut the wheel hard to back around the guy behind me. But as the rear went left, the nose of the car pivoted to the right, and dragged on the doorway to the stall hard enough to snap all the mounting tabs off the right side.

I know this is beating a dead horse, and sorry to thread hijack....but what a asshole to park that close...

ill post the method to my mayhem that will save a little work involved with Q-Ball's write up.

Sounds good! I'm far from a mechanic if you noticed :lol:

I know this is beating a dead horse, and sorry to thread hijack....but what a asshole to park that close...

(Yeah, but get this: he gets out of the car, looks at my situation, mutters "That sucks," gets back in his car and pulls around me into the stall to wash his car.)

(Yeah, but get this: he gets out of the car, looks at my situation, mutters "That sucks," gets back in his car and pulls around me into the stall to wash his car.)

I know, I remember that too.....