you try to be a nice guy and look what happens...

streetdreams

okay as some of you know, I work as a tech at a pontiac dealership. trade ins come and go its just part of the job, somthin to keeo your eye on if you work there, anyways bout 6 months ago a 92 4dr GP LE showed up with high miles and a decent body. I never paid attention cuz I hate 4dr GP's and it was high mileage anyways time goes by and I need a buttload of parts for my 88 coupe. one day I'm lookin around and theres that same 4door 92 up in the lot. I dont know what made me change my train of thoight but I gave the car a once over and poper the hood,doors open. analog cluster with tach, buckets front seats in mint condition, glovebox, headliner, bench rear seat all in great condition where as mine are disrepair. I keep looking and it has more stuff I could use, entire weatherstripping for trunk, hood etc. 2 good engine mounts, brand new exhaust front to rear, excellent monoleaf with new pucks installed. optional dual captains lights for the roof, also the car comes with a running 3.1 w/ 4T60 which would give me a motor to rebuild and machine to 3.4, higher compression and install OEM 3.4 pistons I can get for free w/ new high tension rings. short story I went to the trade in manager and the car was sold to a J-yard 4 months ago as a package deal with 3 other cars for a set price, the yard picked up 3 of them and left this one and no ones heard from them since. the car is sold so I cant buy it but the J yard dosent want it or if I call them they'll overprice it to make a decent profit. all the parts I mentioned are in need or replacment/repair on my 88

Yup, I see similar stuff happen at our GM dealership...

They got rid of 2 piece-of-shit Sunbirds and got like $150 EACH!!! like WTF those are worth nothign!!

There was this old 1st gen J-body Sunbird (old hatchback style) it was in pretty good condition considering the age, I would have liked to pick it up for $50 or something to play around with, maybe restore it or whatever... but it went to some organization called "Car Heaven" and they got $1000 for it! WTF! That thing didn't even get a chance to sit in the as-is lot for me to look at.... :mad:

I know you're a tech, but I probably see alot more of the sales aspect of our dealership since I check in new cars, deal with the used, and of course get deliverys ready when they are sold. If you see something used (Optimum) it proably will be there a while, but sometimes they go fast you never know. Usually the shit in the "Econo-lot" sits for months until they haul it away... but again you never know! Best to take a look if it's something you may be remotely interested in, before it's gone. Dealerships (especially big ones) don't like cars to sit around forever...

I'd love that. If I had access to more cheap cars than I already do, my yard would become even more of a HUGE shitty GM junkyard.

Meh... they are all overprices anyways. I'd love to buy the 95 Olds LSS (3.8 Series II) and stash it away for future engine swap... but they want friggen $1200 for that beatup smoker's car!!! The intake is fucked on it (spewing oil on the engine and burning it). Fuck that, they are all mostly overpriced high-mileage beatup smoker's cars...

Streetdreams: do you know how much that 4 door GP was? just curious..

My dealership just took in a 96 Lumina with 75k on it for $800... they fixed the MINIMAL amount of rust on it and put it on the lot for $3995..... cute isn't it?

Typically the as-is lot is full of crap that comes in. Very seldomly do they get something that's decent.

My dealership just took in a 96 Lumina with 75k on it for $800... they fixed the MINIMAL amount of rust on it and put it on the lot for $3995..... cute isn't it?

IMO the customer is stupid for taking only $800 for the car :dunno:

If it's a good car and worth $3995 I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as it's not a lemon..

Dealerships make money, that's what they do... and that's what creates my paychecks!

If I didn't own my 96, I would have bought this car in a second. I drove it a couple of times and it was nice. But I guess that is okay... keep the paychecks coming!

you try to be a nice guy and look what happens...

that's a nice story and all, but the thread title confused me :shrug:

Yeah me to. :thinking: :thinking:

Sad that there's so little demand for these cars that they can get more selling them for scrap.

I agree, that's a weird title. How were you trying to be a nice guy again?

Some of this sounds like the way I've scored both of my W's. I got the 96 GP for 1500-rebuilt engine and tranny super clean brand new hood ect. Sold it for 3500. Bought my 99 Monte for 2g with a grand worth of new wheels and tires. I figure I can get at least 4000 out of her when I decide to buy a newer GTP

By the way my dad is a Gen. Manager at a Dodge dealership...

I have come to the realization, if you want any type of cash back from your car, dont trade it in. Most cars when you trade them in, they will usually give you about half of what they are actually worth.

:gr_bs: that car is worth so much more then $500 My dad had a 1991 taurus w/ a 3.0 220,xxx miles he got 3k for iton a trade in on a 2000 metro (biggest piece of shit i have ever driven, seen, or worked on :smile24:). The taurus hit a deer at 65mph. We replaced the lights, radiator, put a hood from a j yard and it was good to go. Rust EVERYWHERE. How we got $3000 for it in have no idea. :thinking:

I always thought when you traded in, you got what looks like a very good offer but really isn't because all they did was knock a few grand off their already bloated profit.

:gr_bs: that car is worth so much more then $500 My dad had a 1991 taurus w/ a 3.0 220,xxx miles he got 3k for iton a trade in on a 2000 metro (biggest piece of shit i have ever driven, seen, or worked on :smile24:). The taurus hit a deer at 65mph. We replaced the lights, radiator, put a hood from a j yard and it was good to go. Rust EVERYWHERE. How we got $3000 for it in have no idea. :thinking:

So the dealership actually gave you a grand back?