Airbags - GRR!

supreme_style21

Gotta '97 GP GT here and the airbag light is usually on.. but sometimes it decides to stay off for a day or two. Just shortly after this started happening, the steering wheel radio controls went out (just the lights, not sure if they still function.. aftermarket radio). Yeah well I was just wondering if anyone knew if this is related? I remember hearing something way earlier about a SIR(?) coil going bad in the steering column, which could cause the airbag to deploy at any moment? Or some corroding jumper wire? Sorry if I have any of this information wrong.. just hoping for a simple/cheap fix. :confused: I would imagine that while this warning light is on, there is no chance of the airbag deploying in my face while driving....

The light only means that there is no current in the TEST circuit.

You could still have current going to the coil, and a spike in that current could have it blowing up in you face.

Sounds to me like you have a bundle of wires that are wearing inside of the steering column, very common. Nothing in there turns with the wheel, but there is usually some friction when the wheel is tilted, and this can lead to shorts and grounds.