power lock not power-locking properly *fixed*

THe_DeTAiL3R

Well it's almost like it's worn out or something (hopefully just needs adjustment) but when I press the power door lock button on my drivers side, or press the button on the key FOB, it tries to unlock/lock but doesn't have enough power. I have to use the key or from the inside actually lock it manually. Common problem I would think... what's the cure?

They always worked fine.. then yesterday they started acting up now I have to do it fully manually...

Anyone have pics of this solenoid? Or what does it look like (like the trunk popper??) I'll have to hunt one down in the junkyard.

Does the key unlock it fine? I'm wondering if your linkages are out of adjustment. I'd say they are if you have trouble getting it to unlock with the key as well.

You're going to need to remove the door panel to get to the solenoid. The linkages are underneath the cover that goes behind the door handle on the pillar. Cover's held in place by a phillips screw on the bottom and a hex nut at the top...

Oh I think most of us with coupes know how to get to/adjust the linkages :lol:

Ya the key works just fine.. must be the solenoid then. I'll get one at the junkyard. (At least removing THAT door panel I don't have to worry about keeping the screws organized to put it back together :lol:)

check your grounds. I can't imagine what would've happened to them, but it's a possibility.

back when I was installing my power locks in my Cutlass, the solenoids would only barely move when I was test running the wiring (before I even had them in the doors), almost as if they were getting any amperage. turns out I missed wiring a ground.

I had a similar problem with all my W's. Had to clean and relube the linkages and the "C" shaped pivoting thing. Unfortunately, one time I lubed it with white lithium grease and it turned sticky and gummy after a few years and I had to redo it. :( When you lube the linkages, don't use white lithium grease! I'd use some kind of moly chassis grease or something like that. If it gets worse in cooler weather, then lubing the linkages is what you need. I think I may have also lifted up the rubber boot on the solenoid and squirted some oil in there although that wasn't where the problem was.

Sucks though, the linkages I'm talking about require removing the door trim panel.

i spray the linkages down with pb blaster it cleans them and says it acts as a lube when it dries right on the can i've never had any problems since......

It's just weird how it worked perfect all the time (I use the key FOB or power-lock button all the time to lock/unlock my doors) so they are used like several times a day (never leave my car unlocked).

I'll try greasing it up first and hopefully that will help, God what a pain in the ass it is to take the door panels off this car (compared to my 88 GP) more lights and buttons...

Buy a Lumina then lol....door panel was simple to remove :D....no lights or anything expect power windows buttons which just pop and and unplug before removal lol....

Did you get to the soleniod yet?? IIRC on my Lumina it has a rubber tube over the linkages going in to it.

• 3 weeks later...

i ahve the same problem with my lumina. Just the drivers door. I have to use the key or from the inside. Every once in a blue moon, it will work one way...but shit...maybe lubign it would work. Glad I looked at this section. Thanks to you who didn;t know they were helping me :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got around to working on it.... easy fix. Soleniod broke off!!! No rivets/screws holding it on! :lol:

norivets1rn.th.jpg

New bolts

screwedon4jq.th.jpg

and took a pic of my Infinity component woofer while I had the chance...

img26885eg.th.jpg

WTF...my car was ready to do that when I first got it....I noticed the d/s solenoid was noisy as hell....the rivets were about to shear. And to think I remember someone on this forum swearing that rivets beats bolts....meh

lol... yeah I don't even know. For 2-3 days the lock was having trouble opening.. I think 1 of the rivets had popped off, then it didn't work at all, cause they were both gone. They must be somewhere in the bottem of the door :lol: