What in the heck is this?

Guest cutlass88er

Guest cutlass88er

Since I broke my Canon digital camera (btw don't leave your electronics near a pool) I have been scanning the web for a good pic of a 2.8l engine comp and I found Pabz's pics and I really really need to know what these things are (it takes a while over 56k, 200k jpg):

what.jpg

The orginal pic is by Pabz! Perfect Pic

The thing on the throttle body is what drives me nuts. It likes to come loose and my car idles bad and none of the vacuum driven accessories work (cruise, heater and stuff) I have no idea how to make it stay, it doesn't come loose gradually it just kindah poops either after shutdown or right before starting but never during operation. Is it worth replacing or should I use something to force it on?

The second thing that harness, what is is for. It's more of an irk than anything that affects operation, just knowing there is a cable loose in my car and have no idea what it does! I've been told it's a lead for like a computer diagnostic system (one cable, right...) or like for the engine block heater option. I thought it was just my engine or car, but this proves that at least another pre 91 cutty has it as well.

Any help and all help is appreciated,

Dennis H.

My Grand Prix has a little plastic cover that goes on the vacuum harness that keeps it from popping out. I don't know if you can buy that separately, but that's one way you can fix it. Another way is to simply get some RTV silicone (I'd get the black RTV as it'll come apart if you need it to) and silicone it into the TB. That should hold it well.

Your other arrow is pointing to the fuel pump prime connector. Connect it to a +12V source and it will send power directly to the fuel pump. It's used for pressurizing the fuel system to make starting the car easier if the fuel pressure had to be bled off for some reason, or it can also be used for manually testing the fuel pump.

Hey thats my pic, nice to know that my work is being used for the right purpose, i think i remember that it might be possible to get the plastic cover protector for the cutty, but RTV silicone sounds alot cheaper, but maybe there are other things that need taken a look at, since the harness keeps poping out??? Any weird symptoms?

It shouldn't be popping out.. Those lines are supposed to fit in the openings snuggley without any type of glue or sealant.. What you can seal though is the crack between the throttle body and the rubber bracket that the vacuum lines plug into.

You can get a fairly inexpensive kit from GM that includes all the small plastic lines that run under the plenum, the rubber bracket hose and other small T-connectors.. What you have in there now might be just old and needs replacing if it keeps popping out like that..

Take care of your intake system.. There are few things that can wreak as much havoc on your tranny, idle and fuel consumption as bad vacuum.