Is it possible to convert my 1992 GP SE to a TGP engine?

Q-Ball

Basically, I just want to get the turbo option for some extra performance. Just wondering if it is possible, and what parts I would need to do it.

As for looks, I am trying to make the car look like a 94-96 GP with the B4U kit.

Thanks

it is possible...TurboSedan used his stock 3.1 and put the TGP turbo parts on it. not sure about EVERYTHING you need, i'd just get a complete TGP motor, trans, wiring, etc and you should be set

It's been done before, but even if you just put all of the parts on your existing 3.1, you still have to pull your motor to install them all, and you need to drop your gas tank to upgrade the fuel pump. TurboSedan is the person to ask on this subject though....

Does your GP have a 5-speed or auto? If it is auto plan on getting a 4T60HD tranny from a TGP or TSTE or do a 5-speed swap. The stock non turbo tranny will puke it's cookies in a short period of time with a LG5 strapped to it. :cool:

Guest TurboSedan

It's been done before, but even if you just put all of the parts on your existing 3.1, you still have to pull your motor to install them all, and you need to drop your gas tank to upgrade the fuel pump. TurboSedan is the person to ask on this subject though....

you don't really have to tear the engine apart but it's a good idea to replace head gaskets and intake gaskets. probably a good idea to replace the timing chain and gears and replace the oil pump with a Melling 95HV like the TGP has from the factory. all of the TGP stuff will bolt right onto a regular VIN 'T' 3.1 engine. definately replace the fuel pump and use the TGP injectors. if you don't beef up the automatic or swap to 5-speed you're asking for problems since the turbo 3.1 is a torque monster!

there's a huge thread on everything i did here...tons of pics:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,22683.0.html

wow...kinda strange seeing the old airbox instead of the turbo in my Cutlass...i can't say i miss it :biggrin:

Thanks for all your help guys! Yeah my car is an auto. :( I just have been offered a TGP engine, and I thought I would definitly need a new tranny. I guess TurboSedan is the man to talk to. Must get IM from you! :lol:

I still have lots of questions! But I'll check out that think, and let everyone know.

I was also thinking if I could relocate the intercooler. My friend was thinking about if we could somehow mount it infront of my current rad, since its longer. Its hard to write what I am saying. I guess I should try to draw a picture or something.

ah cripes! i wonder how long this will last.....

Well let us know when something does go wrong. Best thing to do is replace it now, since you know it will lead to a problem.