Front seats don't LOCK at all?

gmrulz4u

I can't remember how long the front bucket seats in my 89 Cutlass have not locked into place, after owning the car for 6 years now, but people that get into my car always are surprised that they just have to push the seat-back forward without lifting any latches or anything. I never really thought anything of it until someone suggested that it isn't very safe at all because if I was ever in an accident, the seats would fly forward...

Is there any easy fix to this problem? I did a search and couldn't find anything so this is apparently not a COMMON problem...

THANKS!:)

I can't remember how long the front bucket seats in my 89 Cutlass have not locked into place, after owning the car for 6 years now, but people that get into my car always are surprised that they just have to push the seat-back forward without lifting any latches or anything. I never really thought anything of it until someone suggested that it isn't very safe at all because if I was ever in an accident, the seats would fly forward...

Is there any easy fix to this problem? I did a search and couldn't find anything so this is apparently not a COMMON problem...

THANKS!:)

Apparently you didn't search very hard, you'll usually find someone going on a saftey rant about it. It's common.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,34206.0.html

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,29044.0.html

Huh, I must have missed that 2nd thread the first time around. I didn't know they could be fixed. I also wasn't sure they were actually broken if they never locked, I just kind of assumed I never subjected them to enough force to make them lock (i.e. collision type forces). I'd better check that service manual.

My GTPs don't lock, neither do Q-balls SEs seats. When I bought the car in September of last year that was the FIRST thing my mother noticed and she hasn't let up on it since, every time she sees the car I get the same question "get those damn seats fixed yet?" I do have the lever on the back so I know mine are supposed to lock, guess I will have to read that tread and maybe get them fixed.

*EDIT*

after reading those 2 threads I guess its going to be a while before I can check mine, I don't remember my seats coming forward under braking. I gotta get the car running again before I can test that.

Jamie

I'd assume they're like the seat belts, and supposed to lock so they won't fly forward if the vehicle is in motion and comes to a stop, but I'd also assume that GM didn't engineer that as well as they should have. My old GP LE used to do that on short stops. :lol:

The passenger AQ9 seat from my 88 GP (in my 95) flys forward if I stomp on the brakes. I don't remember if the stock ones from the 95 did or not (didn't have them in very long). I would think that it doesn't matter anyways, cause the seatbelt is suppose to stop you from flying out of the car not the seat...

Have you read your owner's manuals?

The seats have a inertia lock. Meaning the only lock when on a incline of of certain degree. The latch only works then. They are "supposed" to in a wreck lock because of weight in the seat.

The seats have a inertia lock. Meaning the only lock when on a incline of of certain degree. The latch only works then. They are "supposed" to in a wreck lock because of weight in the seat.

Yeah. My Trans Am's seats are ALWAYS locked. Heck, a family member has a 77 T/A which I grew up around. I first got my Monte and thought "What's with these damn seats not locking?" Then read the manual and found they only lock under certain circumstances. Though I'd be curious if anyone knows how to make them always locked and released only by the lever.

The lever is then pointless if they ONLY lock under certain circumstances?? :dunno:

I think all of our seats are broken.. probably snapped within a week of use.

x2

The lever is then pointless if they ONLY lock under certain circumstances?? :dunno:

The lever is there to unlock the seat if you park on such an incline that the seats lock from the inertia locks. I mean, it would suck if the seats locked on such a hill that your back seat passengers had to stay in the car :lol: Well, w/some of the people, that might actually not be that bad an idea, lol.

But like I said above, someone who's good and knows the system - do you think you could make the levers functional all the time? Find a way to constantly trip the intertia thing?

The lever is there to unlock the seat if you park on such an incline that the seats lock from the inertia locks. I mean, it would suck if the seats locked on such a hill that your back seat passengers had to stay in the car :lol: Well, w/some of the people, that might actually not be that bad an idea, lol.

But like I said above, someone who's good and knows the system - do you think you could make the levers functional all the time? Find a way to constantly trip the intertia thing?

Probably, I've never take the seat apart though.

I would guess that all it would require is that you push the little inertia-sensing weight forward, and somehow lock it in place. I think im gonna try this on one of the seats from my 88 regal. I'll let everyone know on what i find out.

I would guess that all it would require is that you push the little inertia-sensing weight forward, and somehow lock it in place. I think im gonna try this on one of the seats from my 88 regal. I'll let everyone know on what i find out.

Yeah I figured it'd involve tripping whatever locks the seat in position, but had no clue how/where to do this. Definately looking forward to what you find!