Anyone Else Hate Their Power Windows? (1st Gen GPs especially!)

EviLette

Mine... hate me. Shut the door too hard, one or the other pops off track. Go over a bump, it comes off. Roll the window up or down, occasionally it comes off.

Any way to reinforce the track itself so its less mobile (mine appears to move with the flexing of the sheet metal inside the door that it's attached to)?

I've greased the tracks... my motors are tired but not dead yet. And I've got the removal of the door panel, putting the window back on track, and putting it all back together correctly down to like fifteen minutes. haha

Mine did that too. I replaced the whole track around the weathersripping and the glass. Now it doesn't go the whole way down. It sticks up about 3 inches. I've adjusted it a million times. If I adjust it out more it falls out of the track. If I adjust it in more it doesn't go the whole way down. I think it just doesn't have enough shit in the motor to put it the whole way down anymore. I have a new motor for it. Just haven't found the time to mess with it yet. The motor is just sitting in the box along with my PS Pump and Starter that I haven't put on yet either.

ive got a 4-door cutty to pull motors off of for my pos... finding the time to drill out all those rivets is what's killin me... i'm hoping that once im behind the sheet metal i'll know what i'm dealing with to pull the motor... dont have a clue what it is or what it looks like lol

I'm not sure what you mean? But the front doors of a 4 door are the same exact thing as a 2 door. The whole regulator is the same.

I have motors for my car... four of them, cuz I've got a donor car that's a 4-door... its also where my new engine/tranny are comin from... in the very near future...

the windows just piss me off to no end, because they always go off track at the worst possible time... in the middle of an ice storm, or thunderstorm, or when i'm in the middle of the city and have to go somewhere that i need to roll my windows up... not that it matters since i can't lock my drivers' door and can't get in the passenger side that often.... possessed car im tellin you

:lol: My GS is the Same way. My Custom Regal on the other hand has windows that go up and down fast as hell just like it came from the factory? But I know if I mess with it and put them in my Car they won't work. It's just like the wiper assembly I robbed from another W I had before I scrapped it. The wipers worked perfect in it. I put them in my car and they still wont hide away?? I don't understand it.

:lol: My GS is the Same way. My Custom Regal on the other hand has windows that go up and down fast as hell just like it came from the factory? But I know if I mess with it and put them in my Car they won't work. It's just like the wiper assembly I robbed from another W I had before I scrapped it. The wipers worked perfect in it. I put them in my car and they still wont hide away?? I don't understand it.

swap out the doors........ :leaving:

I'm not sure what you mean? But the front doors of a 4 door are the same exact thing as a 2 door. The whole regulator is the same.

uh, not too sure about that buddy. Pretty sure they're different.

the windows just piss me off to no end, because they always go off track at the worst possible time... in the middle of an ice storm, or thunderstorm, or when i'm in the middle of the city and have to go somewhere that i need to roll my windows up... not that it matters since i can't lock my drivers' door and can't get in the passenger side that often.... possessed car im tellin you

Mine does the same damn thing, mine will be fine for weeks, then when you need them to work, they will fall off the damn track. It really pisses me off when they do that and I'm on my way to class. I've adjusted them too many times to count. I would just say forget it and not roll them down, if it wasn't for the lack of A/C....

Check some part #'s.

With all the 1st gen w's I've owned I've never had a problem. :dunno:

My power windows work perfectly in my STE, I've never had a problem with them coming off the traks, and they are pretty damn quick. They're like 3 times quicker than the ones in my 99 GP. My dads windows in his TGP are also just fine, no problems. My sister used to have a '93 GP LE and those were perfect as well, and IIRC I never had any problems with the ones in my Lumina either...

Weird?? I put a window motor with regulator from a 2 door GP in a 95 4 door Regal and it works perfect. The rear window regulators are differant but the motors are all the same.

My 1990 Olds mobile cutlass window does the same thing when I got. I replaced the square plastic that slides back and forth on the guides and it works fine and does not fall my window anymore :)

My 1990 Olds mobile cutlass window does the same thing when I got. I replaced the square plastic that slides back and forth on the guides and it works fine and does not fall my window anymore :)

I'm not sure what you mean? The piece that goes into the guides on the sides is molded to the glass?? the only other guide is round and sits in the metal guide on the glass?

My passenger door windows makes this ugly click. Every since the window itself was replaced by some idiot smashing it. Any idea's on that? But other than that, they still seem to work. I just wish they were smoother than my parents 2003 Montana. :lol:

I'm not sure what you mean? The piece that goes into the guides on the sides is molded to the glass?? the only other guide is round and sits in the metal guide on the glass?

This square plastic I'm talking about is located way down below on the horizontal bar. It is located where the horizontal bar guides in which one arm of the cross arm of the power door regular is attached to. When that arm gets off track because the square plastic guide that holds the arm to slide freely on the horizontal bar, then my window just falls off.