GenII vs GenIII

Black Pheonix

I have a 90 TGP, and am wondering what the differences are that the GenIII's have 35hp over a na 3.1 GenII? How much of a gain is it (in HP) to swap GenIII heads and intake into a GenII. Thanks,

Well, the 3100 gained 20HP over the 3.1L from better flowing heads and SFI. The exhaust ports on the 3100 heads are D-shaped and the 3.1Ls are circular, thats one major difference. Then Gen III heads flow even better. Also, the 3100 and Gen III 3100 have like 9.5:1 Compression over the 3.1L 8.9:1 Actually, the 3100 or 3400 head swap is pretty popular and not that hard to do. Dont know an exact number of HP you would gain, but Im guessin around 15-20. Then if you port and polish the new heads, even more.

Robby

thanks, i guess i was thinking New 3.1 for 35, not semi-new, Anyways, the 3100/3400 just bolt on as long as you have the coresponding intake manifold then? Besides just bolting them on is there any thing else you need to do to make it work. Like does it screw up the compression? That would be a problem, espcially turbo charged. Thanks Again,

P.s if you can't tell i don't know to much about heads and what they do exactly

Well, the new heads would raise your compression, gving your more HP. However, since you got a TGP, your really dont want higher compression. The higher your compression, the less boost you can run safely. But, yes, the 3100/3400 heads bolt up, but you gotta get the intake manifolds from them, exhaust manifolds, TB, Airbox and so forth. If you want more power, port and polish your existing heads. A ported 3.1L head will flow about as good a stock 3100/3400 head. And, if your serious about power, get a computer chip from Jeff M. on this site. Hes got I think 3 different stages, the highest raises your boost from 7.5lbs (stock) to 12lbs. And, he say, I think, 50-70HP gain from that.

Now, I kinda tell you what a head does. Okay, the engine block contains your crank and pistons and rods and all that. Now, on each bank of the block, theres 3 cylinders (obviously, in your case). The heads bolt on top of the block, and the heads contain everything that creates combustion. The block holds the pistons so that they make thier full travel. The heads they bolt up there, and on the bottom side of the head is where combustion happens. The heads allow the mixture of gas and air to enter the combustion chamber via the valves. They also hold the spark plugs, and allow for the exhasut gasses to exit via valves. The heads take the mixture from the lower intake manifold and put it in the combstion chamber. The heads are very critical to any engine. That is a VERY basic overview of what a head does. Hope that helps ya out

Robby

You can always run a higher octane gas if you raise your compression in a forced induction car. I'm running 10:1 CR in my T-Bird at 23lbs of boost. I run 100 octane gas. :) :) :)

head info did help, i have a chip on my list of things to do, and i would do the 100 octane thing but this is my daily driver as well, perhaps alchol injection would solve the problem but it would problaly just be easier to port the orginals. Thanks

yeah thats very true. Didnt even cross my mind. Where do you get 100 octane and how much does it cost? Just Curious

Robby

The high octane gas you would have to look around for. I searched for about two weeks looking for a higher octane gas. Citgo, Sunoco, and Mobil sell racing fuels. Its only certain stations though. When I was buying the racing fuel it was costing me $2.96 a gallon. My T-Bird was my daily driver for about a year. That car only got about 175 miles to 19 gallons of gas. When I wasn't racing it at the track on the weekends, I was pumping 93 octane in it. I never had a detonation problem to speak of. I did do alot of research into the building of my engine. I went over everything to make sure to motor wasn't going to melt down. Turbo motors are fun if you know how to handle them. I have two turbo cars(not w-bodies though sorry guys)that I've done alot of studying with. The T-Bird does have nitrous oxide in it. It has had nitrous oxide for almost three years now. I'm still running 23 lbs of boost with the nitrous, but it does consist of a wet system. Alot of people are just dumb-founded when they see its only a four cylinder i'm doing this too! :) :) :)

I was going to say that too.

If you really want the high octane gas....look arround local Racetracks. For example, I used to be on a team, that raced at Southside Speedway here in richmond. There was a gas station down the street that sold it, along with some others.

I dont know about full NASCAR tracks would have any near, arround RIR, none of them sell it.

Actually, theres a 7-11 near my house that sells like 5 different ones, i think tooping at 95-98.

My dad used to take the spare gas that we didnt use in the car for his truck. But supposedly that stuff is leaded too. That and cool colors (blue an purple). This was about 113 oct.

jon

No, Im not looking for it, my 8.9:1 Compression doesnt come close to warranting it. I was just curious as to if it could be bought. Around home, I have never seen any available, thats why I was asking. Maybe I'll do 3400 heads and turbo from a TGP, and then run 100 octane.......hmmmmm.....sounds good to me!! (We can dream cant we?)

Robby

If you're swapping over to 3100/3400 heads, it's recommended to keep your Gen II intake to save a good bit of trouble doing the swap, this applies to TGP's. here's a little more info on the topic from the TGP message board...http://www.netavalanche.com/tgp/viewtopic.php?t=883

AND about higher octane/racing gas. Go to your local paint supply store and buy some Toluene , mix it(you determine the amount) with your gasoline, about 4oz of "marvel mystery oil"(lubricant..don't use much!), and a few oz's of "mineral spirits"(cleansing agent). I've tried it in my Volvo when running more boost and had no pinging :D and it seems a little more powerful now, no ill effects and I've used it on and off for the last two or so weeks. here is a link about the stuff http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html also, quite a few people have been running it in their GTP's over at ClubGP with no ill effects. You be the judge if you wanna try it or not.[/url]