lumina auto door locking

luminal67

does anyone else have a lumina where the doors automatically lock when you put the car into gear? and then not unlock when put back into park?

My car used to do that before I swapped it. Now after I swapped it, the doors automatically lock when the ignition in turned on. There is also this org/blk wire coming from the C100, that when I ground it out, the doors lock when I hit 10MPH. But still they never unlock.

This has pestered me for a while now and I want to try and do something about it. Just looking for ideas and input from any of you wiring gurus.

thanks

Did it ever unlock the doors when you shut the car off? I know that the first year they came out with the auto-locking feature (1993 IIRC,) they only locked when you shifted into gear and would not unlock when you shut the car off. I'd say if your car is a 93, then that's how it left the factory...

The power locks won't unlock when the car is placed in park. Its annoying...

The auto door locking on my 93 Grand Prix doesn't work most of the time. This is fine by me - the power locks themselves still work fine which is all that matters to me. Sometimes the mood must catch it right and it will lock when I put the car into gear but most of the time, nothing.

Kevin

on my 93' this annoyed the everloving hell out of me when i first got it. its super easy to disable, on the passenger side on the ding module there is a wiring harnas coming out of it, just unplug it, thats all.

Can't you turn that off buy holding down on the lock button until the locks cycle? I had something that did that. It was either my Monte or my Alero.

my car is a 94 and it locks once in gear and unlocks when the ignition is shut off

:withstupid: wouldnt bother me nearly as much except people always flip the lock up manually instead of with the power switch, even when I'm getting out too, so I usually have to hit the unlock switch before they can do it by hand.

Does it actually hurt those actuators if you flip them up by hand???? Either way I'm glad my Lumina doesn't have them....I hate those things at lock you in.

Can't you turn that off buy holding down on the lock button until the locks cycle? I had something that did that. It was either my Monte or my Alero.

That would've been your Alero. The N-Bodys used the door lock switch to set the auto-locking. The rest of the newer GM's used the radio (if it has an RDS radio, that is.) The radio or door lock switch "program" the BCM, which no GM from 93 even had. So to answer your question, no, the auto locks on a 93 can not be set in that manner.

thelocking really doesnt bother me. its when they dont unlock that pisses me off. whenever someone rides with me they always yank on the handle, then they get mad when they cant figure out how to unlock it.

IF they had unlocked i probably woulden't have disabled mine, but i got rather tired of bodyslaming the door.

And to think, I was going to ADD this function to my Lumina.. BUt i am going manual.. I was going to wire it up somehow to unlock when shifted to park, but umm.. Yea, no park option on a 5 speed :willynilly:

My 94 has this, and it unlocks when I switch the car off.. It works for me, but it seems no matter HOW often people ride in the car, they go retarded and try getting out before I shut it off..

Come to think of it my Park Avenue Ultra locked the doors when you took it out of Park, but they unlocked when you put it back in.

My 93 lumina locked when put into gear, but not when put back in or shut off. Not long after I got the car the power locks went on the fritz and kept cycling so i unhooked them so no more auto locks. My 96 GP unlocks when i shut it off, but its still a pain in the ass. Any way to shut them off completly? I took the whole dinger box out(like i do to every car ive had) out and that didnt stop it.

yea i have a 93'

but why when the wire is grounded, does it lock at 10 mph? is there a similar feature on a 97+ gp?

If your car was had a manual transmission then that wire would be grounded from the factory, since a stick has no park position to shift out of for the car to know when to lock the doors, it uses the 10mph mark as the indicator to lock the doors.