rust prevenative

luminal67

I have heard people talking on here about something to put on existing rust to slow down the process.

Does anyone know of anything that works good, and if so, how well does it work? The only thing that I have heard of is petroleum jelly, aka vaseline.

Any help is appreciated,

-Brian-

Depends on where your trying to prevent rust from occuring.

Use products like:

Rustoleum "cold galvonizing compound"

POR-15 (for existing rust)

If your talking for the body of the car, the best thing you can do is to keep it clean and waxed.

Do you have specific areas that need help...posting a pic or two won't hurt either...it'll help use recommend a product suited for the specific area....

That said I just use undercoating on most of the hidden areas (aka anything not visible when looking at the car)......as for rust on the paint surface, you'll need to sand it down and repaint it. If it is just surface rust...put wax over it after removing the existing surface rust.

POR 15 goes right over rust and stops its permanently. If you have rusted out areas with patches of rust, your looking at body work to fix it.

As I've said before, if you just sand the rust down, and paint over it, you can expect to see it come back in a couple weeks at best, unless you sand ALL of the rust off completely ( shiney bare metal ) and use Rust Mort or some other converter for good measure.

Even then, I've noticed on the rockers, and rear quarters that they rust from the inside out, so you'll need to find some way to attack from behind ( this is impossible on most parts of the rockers, and a PITA on the quarters ), or just cut out the rusty shit and patch it with new metal. Pretty much the only way to completely beat it is to do that.

and a PITA on the quarters

When I repaired my quarters on my Lumina, I used a broom handle cut in half and a sanding block taped to it to shove through that hole where the vent cover goes in the door jam....I was able to sand everything well....I then managed to get a can of rust convertor through that small hole as well and sprayed it everywhere...then applied undercoating.....been a year, and still holding up fine.

A good wax/oil based undercoating is the way to go. Not the cheap oil undercoating, cause that just washes off- but not the plastic/asphalt stuff either cause that can trap moisture. Oil/wax kind will seep into the rust areas, and the wax will help it stay there. Get it done every year or 2.

The past year the dealership has been selling "rust modulators" which basically hook up to the battery and ground the car and do something with ions or whatever, and prevents rust. They are quite expensive and I have no idea if they do anything. :dunno: :lol:

and a PITA on the quarters

When I repaired my quarters on my Lumina, I used a broom handle cut in half and a sanding block taped to it to shove through that hole where the vent cover goes in the door jam....I was able to sand everything well....I then managed to get a can of rust convertor through that small hole as well and sprayed it everywhere...then applied undercoating.....been a year, and still holding up fine.

For the quarters, or the rockers? :confused:

You can use that vent for the back half of the rockers, but the spot below the doors is impossible to get at from the back. Thats where most of the rust was on mine.

Yeah, what's rusting on your car, first of all?

the quarters, inside the wheel wells, and inside the trunk in the corners above the tail lights is really bad. i just want to put something on it to slow the existing rust down untill I can afford to fix it properly.

I already did the POR-15 route under the hood in places, and it helped quite a bit.

A good wax/oil based undercoating is the way to go.

what, where and how much?

Well this is what I'm gonna get before winter... from Krown. I dunno if it's really a wax, all I know is that it doesn't wash away as fast as other cheap shit does, and it's kinda yellow looking..

http://krown.com/product.php

Those rust modulators don't work at all. I had one on my Chevelle and the body still fell apart.

I'm doing the underside of my car with POR15 in a couple of weeks. It may take awhile to paint it on but I don't really care as it seems to be the best alternative to undercoating.

Those rust modulators don't work at all. I had one on my Chevelle and the body still fell apart.

I'm thinking they *may* work on a brand new car, that would have virtually no rust. Never sell them on used cars (or very often anyways). Usually if they buy the modulator, they get undercoating as well (and paint seal, and fabric protection)... suckers. :rolleyes: