Opinions on a GTP I might be looking at...

fastbird232

Unfortunately, by ex-fiancee leaving me also means she's taking the car with. Seeings how I'll need a car to go see my daughter, I've been looking around a lot lately, and this caught my eye:

http://www.upcars.com/private/477676b.html

It's a '94, but it's got all the things I wanted on the '95 (spoiler delete, five-spokes, a NOSE). What worries me is the multicolored front end (crash?) and the fact it's been sitting for two years.

Worth $2500, you think? I really need a car soon, and this might be right up my alley.

As much as I loved it, worked on it, fixed it, and broke it, and despite the fact we'd been together for two years, her name was on the title. She'd offered a few times to turn it over to me (she didn't really care who owned it), but I always said no because I didn't feel like paying to have it re-titled just to be able to say I technically owned it. So in a week or two I still have to install the nose (just got painted), and after that, it's bye-bye GTP. It's not all bad, though, because with the lein on it, the bank requires FULL coverage, which has been running about $1200 a year, plus the $3000 left on the loan, so I'm kinda glad I'm not stuck with it.

However, I still loved that car. It was way more powerful than my old T-Bird, and I was just getting to know it inside and out. So I'd like to pick up this '94 (wish it had the leather, but it doesn't sound like it), but knowing these cars like I do, I'm a little wary of a $2500 GTP. That primered fender and green nose scare me, and all I keep thinking is "timing belt." It's been online there for about six months now, and I would have gone to look at it but Engadine is three hours away and obviously I have no car at the moment. Maybe when Sam comes home to pack up her stuff I can snag her GTP to go look at this one, but that's a big maybe with gas prices the way they are...

I told the website to pull the ad, so here's the car, for posterity:

477676b.jpg

I planned on finding enough things wrong with it to talk him down to $1800 (it's a w-body, not like there's a shortage of problems to point out), but that's a moot point now.

Sorry to hear you're gonna be losing your car and this one didn't happen. Be patient dude.

Werd, hold out for the right car.

Well, I can't tell you I'm not worried about it, because I've counted a grand total of four GTPs in the Upper Peninsula in the past four years. My best bet might be waiting for one of our midwestern members to put his up for sale.

We'll see. Things have a way of working out, though. There's a nice white '96 Special Edition with the 3.4 that someone on campus drives, maybe I'll go chat with him next time I see him.

Wow, I actually like that color better than black...

Yea there was a guy trying to sell a really high mileage '95 Cutty in that color here a while back. IMHO, that's the best color a W ever had.

EDIT: So is that anywhere even close to you? I know Michigan isn't a small state... :lol:

that does suck, i'm sure someone could pick it up and drive it, meet you half way.

that is an awesome color, it looks good now, but so much better with a real good waxing. and at 79,000 its still a baby.

Yeah, the interior sucks. I dig leather. But right now, my finances are up in the air and it would probably be a month before things settle down enough to go downstate to get a car.

Naw, Warren is by Detroit. I'm on the south shore of Lake Superior. It's really too far away to get, unfortunately.

I've been into these cars since '02. Warren is 15 minutes from me. I am completely confident in my ability to appraise these vehicles. I have a place by Gaylord. Maybe we can work something out?

But right now, my finances are up in the air and it would probably be a month before things settle down enough to go downstate to get a car.

If then. I think I might have been too excited to get a car without first realizing I'm essentially going through a "divorce." I'll get things taken care of, then we'll talk.