F'n piece of S*** Car...Please Help

dkorinko

So after i was happy to find my car debadged itself this morning, i go to start it about an hour later and all i get is a click and then boom, everything shuts off, nothing electrical in the car works, and it wont even allow me to turn the key back to pull it out of the ignition....what the hell is going on??????

Id check the battery itself! Ive seen/heard batterys blow up. Not fun. Better find out if it was the battery fairly quick and dump some buckets of water there if thats what it actually is.

The ignition cylender is fine. It's not releasing the key because there's not enough power to do it.

Oddly enough, my car did the exact same thing tonight.. I've never seen a battery go totally kaput this quick..

Almost sounds the ignition cylinder is out of alignment / FUBARed.

Not the cylinder, but the ignition switch itself. The switch sits atop the column, and is actuated by a rod that runs down from the lock cylinder. It is very possible that the switch self-distructed, in the sense that the contacts inside broke apart and now won't allow the switch to move back to the "lock" position.

Lower the steering column, unbolt the ignition switch, remove the "rod" from the top of it, and use a small screwdriver to move the slider through the different positions ("accessory," "lock," "off," "on," and "start.") It should easily move from "accessory" to "on," and offer up a bit of resistance when you push it to "start" (and then spring back when you release it.) If anything seems abnormal with the switch, replace it with another one...

The ignition cylender is fine. It's not releasing the key because there's not enough power to do it.

Oddly enough, my car did the exact same thing tonight.. I've never seen a battery go totally kaput this quick..

Sounds like the Cylinder or the ignition to me too?? I've never had a problem getting the Keys from a car in the Bone Yard after they have been in an accident and have no Battery in them?

well considering nothing electric/electronic works (aka headlights, hazards?) then look at the battery terminals/cables check the main underhood electrical center...

well considering nothing electric/electronic works (aka headlights, hazards?) then look at the battery terminals/cables check the main underhood electrical center...

Agreed, if absolutley nothing electrical works, I'd check the connections first before the cylinder.

Sounds like the Cylinder or the ignition to me too?? I've never had a problem getting the Keys from a car in the Bone Yard after they have been in an accident and have no Battery in them?

Newer GM cars have electric actuators that lock the key in place. Older cars (like the ones you get parts out of in the boneyard) have a shift-key interlock cable that releases the key when the car is put in park. Totally different circumstances.

Older cars (like the ones you get parts out of in the boneyard)

Mr. IJustHadA91Cutlass

lol

Anyway, I would check battery first things first, as usual. Connections, then fuses, the boom seems kinda fun tho. I wish I was there.

Got a new battery in there yesterday and at first it was doing the exact same thing, nothing was working, then my buddy was fiddling around with the connections and all of a sudden, everything was back. The battery was bad though. Thanks for all the tips, looks like it was the battery that was messing up though.

Older cars (like the ones you get parts out of in the boneyard)

Mr. IJustHadA91Cutlass

lol

Anyway, I would check battery first things first, as usual. Connections, then fuses, the boom seems kinda fun tho. I wish I was there.

That's Mr. IStillHaveA91Cutlass to you :wink:

I know about the electronic key solenoid from my '94 Bonneville, actually :lol:

look very close at the battery cable ends...you will see corrosion (green/grey) at a quick glance it looks like it's fine but it's not...use a sharp pick and chip off the corrosion and you will have no further problems...

glad ya found the problem