1994 GP coupe power window switch question

AaronA

I have been reading at this website for a while and now I finally am going to post. I currently own a 94 Grand Prix Special Edition (its practically a GTP without the engine :-( and it has some annoyances that are quite difficult to resolve, not repair wise, part wise.

-My passenger side window does not work, and through the use of a multimeter my dad found out its the driver side window switch, however finding this part is extremely difficult because even though the switch looks the same up until I think 2000, the wiring is diffrent. I dont want to go to the dealer because alldata has the part listed at 92 dollars, and I am not paying that for a breadboard and a piece of plastic. So I am asking for a place that will have the switch for a relatively cheap price. The OEM number for the part is 88894536 and if needed I can have a picture of the front and back (the connector) as well as the other side for color coordination. Now I just was at the junkyard and noticed the 95 monte carlo coupe has a very simalar color coordination on the plug, and i might be willing to bet the switch could work on the pontiac, does anyone have info regarding the color codes to the wires in the dashes. This can also be useful because I do have a master window switch to a 94 4-door grand prix, and with the proper diagrams for wiring technically its possible to rewire the plug to get it to work (has to be extremely detailed because I tried it before and because of faded wires/ poor guessing I fried a switch from a 97)

-My sunroof does not work, and the problem is not associated with the motor. Like the window my dad took jumpers and a multimeter to it and got it to open and close, but could not under normal circumstances. He said to replace the controler chip, which I did but now when I try to open it I hear A click in the controller (like a relay) and thats it, nothing else happens.

its practically a GTP without the engine

That's the only thing that makes it a GTP!

I've got the same problem with my sunroof, too. Works when it wants to, and never when I want it to. It doesn't seem like the motor or the switch, but maybe some loose wiring somewhere along the line.

I would get on car-part.com, identify and call a few junkyards as well as look on Ebay. BTW, be grateful that the dealer has one for $92 and the option to buy it exists; mine costs $240.

**I may have a 1994 POWER WINDOW SWITCH!**

I'm trying to find it right now, but I do have pictures I took before. Click on the link in my sig. I'll post again when I find the damn thing...[br]Posted on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:59 PM_________________________________________________Okay this is all it says on the side... 10098839 and 4069 E :dunno:

I just know that I pulled this from a GP and the pins are different then my 95... the bottem right pin is missing. See if it matches up to your switch and I would think it should be the same...

Since I don't know if it works (since it's the wrong part for my car) I can't guaranty if it works or not..

PWside.jpg

PW.jpg

PWback.jpg

thats the correct one. The missing pin is diffrent after 1996 I think (my 97 switch it was one of the middle pins).

Now the way thats 100% to confirm it will work on a 94 is with the wiring harness on the other side, itll be the 8 pin plug and it will have markings on the top and bottom sides and would give you a way to make note of what wires go with what.

With the fastener part facing up the letter will go like this

[_]

H G F E

A B C D

on the other side if you can give me the wire colors I can know if it will work. Unfortinately two of the wires on those years are VERY close in color, like a brown/gray type color, but if you have that it also prooves its for my car, since they changed it in later model years.

I have diagrams on the newer switch (for the last version of the GP coupe) which I will show here not only for refrance, but also for anyone who has one (it is EXTREMELY useful for anyone who owns that car and has this problem).

GPwindow2.jpg

GPwindow1.jpg

Unfortinately Alldata has no such diagram for my car.=, however I can have pictures of my 94 if you want :-(

and my car really does say special edition, it has the full on extra body to it, the gold rims and tan interior, it actually looks better then the one 1994 GTP I saw at the junkyard (which I subsiquently took a lot of parts from).

look I am very sure I wish to purchase that switch from you, is there any way for you to test it to make sure it's in working order?

EDIT: those pictures are for LATEST MODEL GRAND PRIX coupe. I dont want people to confuse them for other years because rewiring your windows improperly results in a short, and you can ruin your wiring (it will melt your insulation on them) and the switch, I found out the hard way but I only ruined a switch from a 97 or 8 and not my wiring.